Renard Plus WiFi FourBangers help needed

eddylightsup

Supporting Member
Hello everyone,
I completed assembly of 5 of the Renard Plus WiFi FourBangers. I've conducted the testing steps in the build instructions and I got the correct voltages. I programmed my ESP radios with the ESPixelsstick 3.0 firmware, and they all seem to be fine. I'm able to access their webpages with the correct IP addresses. But of the 5 controllers, I am able to get lights to respond on only one of them. On the one that is working, I get the test sequence from the ESP page when I select rainbow option. Could it be faulty construction on 4 out of 5; faulty or incorrect hex file programming on the PIC?
When I get home tonight I plan to swap the PIC from the known good controller to the others and also put the PICs from the others into the known good controller.

Any other ideas that I can test or try to figure out what's wrong?

As an additional question, how can I tell that the ESPs I have are Non Puya?

Thanks,
Eddy

Hey Eddy,
1. yes, move the pic to rule that out.
2. move the ESP module around too just like the pic.
3. you have to look at the memory chip. There are several threads here on DIYC AND on the internet about those chips as the issues weren't just with our hobby.

and yes, you need to examine under magnification your soldering work. You'd be surprised how small errors can creep in.
Hopefully, you don't have a component that is bad on the board. THAT will be hard to find.

It also can help to post good pictures of the back/bottom of your boards if you want another set of eyes on the soldering.

Good Luck and report back your findings.

Uke,

Thanks for the ideas. I had cross posted on the other site and they gave me the same tips too. Also, these PICs need to be at Start Address 1 to work right.

I went through and tested the known good PIC in the others, and the reverse as well. "Good" PIC worked in all the controllers.
I reflashed the PICs setting to Start Address 1. All 5 work now. I get response testing using the ESP site for each radio as well.
So, all good on this front.

One additional question regarding Universes and Start Channels. These 4Bangers are going to "follow" my other 3 Ren and Ren Plus controllers that are using up 56 channels (daisy-chained) on Universe 1. Should I make these Universe 1 with each subsequent start channel -- 57, 65, 73 and 81?

And finally one question though for Xlights users. When I connect to them in Xlights, the test sequence isn't working from there. I see traffic in the ESP page, but no light output.

Back