sequence editing question for the V3 experts...

OptykMuse

I usually end up doing a bunch of edits to my sequences during the holiday season while the lights are up and I'm observing them in action and notice things that need adjusting and such (or suggestions from other viewers).
I'm trying to edit out several seconds of one of my sequences from the beginning and have not figured out a way to do it... is there a way in Vixen 3.9U5 (the version I have running for this year's show) to select or highlight a whole section of a sequence to remove it (and bring the two ends together in its absence), including the music in that section also? I have a sequence for the Polar Express Suite which has a loooong buildup and the first seven seconds is so quiet you really can't hear it so I wanted to edit that out and start the show with the 7-second point becoming the beginning (0-seconds). I've even tried building a new sequence using the edited version of the music (first 7 seconds removed) and then copy/pasting the existing sequence prop rows to the new sequence, but everything always starts at the 7 second point when I paste it into the prop rows. Can't seem to get anything to start where I want it to.

I would approach this by first editing the audio file as you did. Make note of the exact amount of time you trimmed off the front. Down to the millisecond.
Then go into vixen and set a mark at that time spot. Go down all the effects and use the split tool to split the effects at that mark. Delete the part of the effects before the mark. Next start a new sequence, but keep the old one open as well. Associate the new audio file to the new sequence and then go back to the old sequence, do a select all and copy the effects. Go back to the new one and make sure the play cursor is at the start of the file and then paste the effects in. This should paste them starting at the 0:00 time mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... think I might have found it -
Is it in a right-click menu? I see 'Manipulate' and inside that a 'Divide at Cursor' (ctrl-D) selection...

I've followed the instructions as carefully as I could and am still not getting the paste to start at the '0' mark in the new sequence.
I've added a mark at the split point (7 seconds in), split and deleted everything in the sequence that starts before the 7 second mark, selected everything in the entire sequence (ctrl-A), copied (ctrl-C), went to the new sequence window (edited audio file already associated), set the play cursor at 0:00, right-clicked on 0:00 on the first prop that contains effects and pasted.
The paste still starts at 7:00 seconds.
Not sure but must have missed something...

There is actually a bulk move in the tools menu. Edit the audio the remove the first 7 seconds. Take note of the exact time you removed. In the bulk effects move, set the start time to zero and the end time to the end of the sequence. Set the offset to the time you remove and choose backward. It will move all effects back. Then you can replace the audio and set the new sequence length to match. Everything should be lined up.

Thanks Jeff, that did it! I now have a shortened sequence.
There was one extra step I needed to do to make it work, I had to 'select-all' (ctrl-A) before executing the bulk move, then it worked perfectly.
I also opted not to resize the sequence to the music when I replaced the audio with the shortened version. The first time I tried I did select 'yes' to that prompt and it didn't quite do what I needed it to do and the end of the effects were cut off. So I did it a second time and left the extra length at the end of the sequence and then used the 'Sequence Length' tool to end the sequence exactly where I wanted it to end.

I'm not sure why the copy and paste didn't work. I just tested it and it worked for me. They pasted in right where the play cursor was. That makes me think you may not have deleted everything before the split point.

Be careful with using the sequence length function. You want your sequence length to exactly match the audio length. Having them mismatched, even by a fraction of a second, can sometimes cause issues when the sequence is scheduled for the show.

Back