sequencing vixen show with projector

cretx

Im wanting to add Virtual Grinch Video on a LCD projector to my display this year, and I would like to sequence it to my lights. My plans is to have a PC running Vixen controlling my outside lights in my garage, and then another PC running the Virtual Grinch with projector in my upstairs bedroom. My ideal plan is to run the Grinch video during certain points of my show. Has anyone tried to sequence a projector to their vixen show, and tips on this would be greatly appreciated!

If you can broadcast E1.31, you could use the Falcon Player to receive E1.31 information and play the video via an event script when a set of control channels were set to specific values. The Falcon Player would be connected to your monitor/projector and play the video. Or you could use the Falcon Player to actually play your show and do the same thing along with freeing up your normal show computer to do other things during the show.

Captain - Always wanted video and I set up falcon on my Pi - But I only see options to have Falcon send E1.31 - How do you set it up to receiver the 1.31?

Doh - Got it - Bridge Mode .... Off to play!!!!

Last edited:
Ok - Sorry to ask Captain - Do you have any crash steps on playing the video with Vixen (The E1.31 is easy from Vixen, I use it now - I can add another instance and channels for Falcon) - The Falcon side has me a bit - I have the video in Falcon, but after that ... Bit stumped ...

** Edit **

I can get a playlist going from the GUI and Bash - but can't seem to trigger it with sending to the E1.31 (even selected ALL channels and nothing)

Last edited:
On the FPP side, you need to create an Event Script to start the playlist. There is a sample called StartPlaylist.sh in the Script Repository which is available via the FPP menu. Install that script, then download it to your local system and change the playlist name then re-upload with the same filename or a new filename. Create an Event to run the script. Setup the Event Control Channels, then in your sequence set those channels (major/minor) to 10x the values of the Event's major/minor ID. If your event ID is 3/2, then set the first channel to 30 and the second channel to 20. It works this way because some sequencers store the channel values internally as 0-100% intensity instead of an actual 0-255 value. The Event Script should get triggered whenever you set the channel values to match the event ID. You can turn them on for a frame or two, they don't have to stay on. The Event Script gets run in the background and the playlist will run until completion, so you should use the non-repeating playlist start script.

How would/could you do this from a single computer? Is that possible? Or would that be too much work for one computer? Vixen 3 and ill have around 96 channels next year

I have not actually completed this yet. I have the projector and I use Vixen 2.1 I, too, was going to use it for projecting the Grinch...

Note that I have an old, high-end Mitsubishi ColorView SL4SU projector. It supports serial (USB) control. Things like, turn on, blank display, show display, etc., plus a lot of configuration that I wouldn't need.

What I have done so far:
1. Installed a better graphics card that can drive two displays in the show computer.
2. In Windows, set my system up to use both displays with the project display as the 'second' display (ie. not primary).
3. I have created some PowerPoint slides of the Grinch to be projected.
4. PowerPoint opens in the second display, maximized in Presentation Mode. Note that PowerPoint supports limited external control.

What I need to do still:
1. Create external applications/scripts to send desired serial commands to the projector.
2. Create external applications/scripts to control PowerPoint slide changing, reset, etc.
3. Plumb both into Vixen using, most likely, Launcher.

As I said, this is not yet completed. I stopped working on it in the summer when my wife said that she would rather use a Grinch inflatable than the projector. It is still on my list if things to do, but I won't work on it right now since it requires access to the show computer and I don't want to do anything to derail my show which has been running since Thanksgiving now.

Jimboha

Back