Several bad pixels this year....is this common?

DBASRA99

This is the third year for my mega tree and I never had any issues the last two years with my 12V 2811 LEDS.

However, this year, I have had to bypass at least 4 and now maybe 5 leds to get others to work.

Is this common after just 2/3 years?

Thanks

A common thing I have noticed with all Ws28xx Pixels is ,after the season's usage

when not in use some of them seem to get real comfortable being off .

Ws 2801 -> same issue
Ws 2812b -> same issue x10
Ws 2811 ->same issue

Having spare/replacement pixels is a must in this hobby .
In some cases , entire prop backups are a good idea .

Seems to very batch / manufacture related in my experience. My original ones from 4 yeas ago are all still going strong. On the newer pixels I'm seeing random cases of the blue channel lighting at low brightness for no reason. The other annoying thing is that the physical size can vary a little meaning some don't fit in my props. These are all 5V WS2811 BTW.

Seems to very batch / manufacture related in my experience. My original ones from 4 yeas ago are all still going strong. On the newer pixels I'm seeing random cases of the blue channel lighting at low brightness for no reason. The other annoying thing is that the physical size can vary a little meaning some don't fit in my props. These are all 5V WS2811 BTW.

Just replaced a couple more. Issue is moisture getting in (which it shouldn't.....). In some cases I am able to improve things by spraying some WD40 on the backs (where the wires enter). I attacked a few of my pixels with a knife, the difference is the type/quality of material they use to do the waterproofing-beyond that I doubt there's any significant differences from brand to brand. We did have one very hard frost in the UK last year which caused all sorts of havoc. Wind and rain are the enemy this year.

Last edited:
It also matters what vendor made them. I have some for Ray Wu from 6 years ago on a matrix that only had a few at the end that had to be replaced 3 years ago (and that may have been my fault). On my shortest megatree on it's 3rd season, I have already replaced 35 pixels in various places and now one complete section is so bad I am replacing all 4 strands just to be done with it. They were off of Amazon and they look just like the ones from Ray Wu and have heavy gauge wires, only now the entire pixel has tuned milky white. Where the wires come out of the body some have become sensitive when moving the wires and dropping the signal. These seem to be the only ones so far with this problem.

Back