Si4713

bbeachyak

I'm really fighting this transmitter off of the K16A-B kulp controller this year. Last year I was able to get signal clear down to the end of my street, but this year it is fuzzy in my driveway, and I really don't know what to do. I started with a short piece of 16ga wire (2ft) for the antenna, but then when that wasn't working I switched to a longer (5ft) piece of 16ga wire, and that still isn't doing the trick. I have messed with all the settings in the plugin for the transmitter and I can get it better, but nowhere near what I want. It has a lot of static just in the parking lot across the street which is where most of my viewers would watch from. Would have just thought I needed a more powerful transmitter, but I know what it was capable of last year. Any help would be appreciated.

Current best settings in the plugin are:

Frequency: 98.5 MHz
Power: 115dBuV
Tuning Capacitor: 60
Compression: -15
Audio Gain: 10

I'm really fighting this transmitter off of the K16A-B kulp controller this year. Last year I was able to get signal clear down to the end of my street, but this year it is fuzzy in my driveway, and I really don't know what to do. I started with a short piece of 16ga wire (2ft) for the antenna, but then when that wasn't working I switched to a longer (5ft) piece of 16ga wire, and that still isn't doing the trick. I have messed with all the settings in the plugin for the transmitter and I can get it better, but nowhere near what I want. It has a lot of static just in the parking lot across the street which is where most of my viewers would watch from. Would have just thought I needed a more powerful transmitter, but I know what it was capable of last year. Any help would be appreciated.

Current best settings in the plugin are:

Frequency: 98.5 MHz
Power: 115dBuV
Tuning Capacitor: 60
Compression: -15
Audio Gain: 10

Make sure that the volume in FPP isn't set high. I had this issue a few years ago and my volume slider was at 100 when it was 70.. I set it to 70 and the issue was fixed. Never did figure out how it was moved to begin with.

Attachments

• volume.png
    volume.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 12
Thanks Kev for the tip, I did have my volume at 100, I think this helped slightly, but I still get nothing but static from the street. I'm wondering if the addition of two half trees on either side of my mega tree is causing this. I have my controller right under my mega tree, and now that I have both trees on either side I might be getting too much interference with the signal trying to leave? Has anyone extended the Si4713 from direct mounting to the kulp board and mounted it elsewhere? I'm thinking I could possibly mount it to the top of my mega tree instead?

In case anyone reads this later and wanted to know how things ended up. I think I just had too much interference for the little Si4713 transmitter. I purchased a Retekess TR509 off of Amazon and the difference is impressive. I put the new transmitter in the garage and just ran a long aux cord from my controller to the transmitter, and I can now get range way over the allowable limits of the FCC (up to 1.5 miles!). I had to turn down my output so it wouldn't go so far. I am really happy with this thing, and would recommend anyone just get it instead of fighting with the smaller boards. This will not be outgrown by my future shows.

In case anyone reads this later and wanted to know how things ended up. I think I just had too much interference for the little Si4713 transmitter. I purchased a Retekess TR509 off of Amazon and the difference is impressive. I put the new transmitter in the garage and just ran a long aux cord from my controller to the transmitter, and I can now get range way over the allowable limits of the FCC (up to 1.5 miles!). I had to turn down my output so it wouldn't go so far. I am really happy with this thing, and would recommend anyone just get it instead of fighting with the smaller boards. This will not be outgrown by my future shows.

Glad you got it sorted out. I'm thinking about picking up a Retekess for next year.

How do you hook this up to the Kulp board?

Thanks

Back