Singing face Question

GrisWattsZ

Has anyone attempted to use regular LED string lights to make pumpkin singing faces or any other face for that matter. I found a template and since the mouth has three positions and the lights are either all on or off in each position to make to mouth appear to move, I feel like it could work. Or am I missing something that requires those to be only done using pixels?

My singing faces use seperate strings of regular LEDs for each mouth position and each eye. That was pretty much the standard before pixels took the displays by storm. My siging faces use 8 renard channels per face.

I still use a 6ft talking tree in my display using rope lights.
Same as Martin, it uses 8 channels off an old LOR controller.
I like the look of rope light for the singing faces.

In many instances, pixels are just emulating solid strings. You set a group of pixels to the section of the face (such as lower lip) and they act as one. Only difference is the ability to turn the string of pixels different colors. The only other benefit over LED strings is that you can set the number of pixels you need with no additional bulbs to hide. With the string of LEDs (or incans) you sometimes had left over pixels that had to be "hidden" (as in needing 16 for the upper lip, but only had strings of 25. We would "hide" the last 9 on that string. I still have some black bags we used to put extra bulbs in and then hang them on the back of the prop once the part of the face was complete.

In many instances, pixels are just emulating solid strings. You set a group of pixels to the section of the face (such as lower lip) and they act as one. Only difference is the ability to turn the string of pixels different colors. The only other benefit over LED strings is that you can set the number of pixels you need with no additional bulbs to hide. With the string of LEDs (or incans) you sometimes had left over pixels that had to be "hidden" (as in needing 16 for the upper lip, but only had strings of 25. We would "hide" the last 9 on that string. I still have some black bags we used to put extra bulbs in and then hang them on the back of the prop once the part of the face was complete.

The other advantage of pixels over solid strings is much simpler wiring, one data line + power as needed rather than needing 8 cords running to the prop.

I still use a 6ft talking tree in my display using rope lights.
Same as Martin, it uses 8 channels off an old LOR controller.
I like the look of rope light for the singing faces.

Awesome thanks for the reply, is there a video of the singing tree that I could watch?

i am still using 4 talking face from 10 year ago .. led string were cheep at the time .33 cent a set lol .. it does the job ,,, going pixel would be way more expensive as they are like 30 cent a bulb (with shipping ) so it get expensive as you might need up to 500 pixel ( depending of size of talking face) the only advantage of pixel is you could change color of the face ,,, but i dont care neither are the kids watching my show ... it all about money and what ever is easy accessible ... also with pixel if 1 goes out ,, there is no more singing ( specially if its pixel 1 lol ) .. with led if 1 goes out the rest keep moving ,,,and being on the roof with snow i rather have a broken eye witch i could fix at the end of season then having a broken talking face witch i will have to go and fix ... cheer

Last edited:
Would anyone be willing to share a 5-8 ch singing face sequence. I have ordered a pumpkin, light bulb and plan to order a tree face.

Back