SSR Connection Question

PaneraSlave

Excuse me for being a total noob, how do you connect the SSRneon to your computer? What software is needed to operate? Vixen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Excuse me for being a total noob, how do you connect the SSRneon to your computer? What software is needed to operate? Vixen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The SSRneon does not connect to your PC, it is normally connected to an SSR controller like the Ren64XC or RenardPlus, etc. Those controllers have an RJ45 connector that goes directly the SSRneon (or most any DIY SSR here) and controls the 4 TRIACs on them. They just require a 5v signal to enable the outputs so you could use other methods (like an Arduino, etc) to run them as well if you wanted to.

So the controller connects to the computer using a standard RS-232 serial cable and connects to the SSRs using a standard RS-485 Ethernet cable? Vixen can be used with this correct?

So the controller connects to the computer using a standard RS-232 serial cable and connects to the SSRs using a standard RS-485 Ethernet cable? Vixen can be used with this correct?

Mostly correct - you can use RS-232, RS-485 or DMX (also RS-485) from you PC to the controller(s) using the appropriate adapter/dongle - RS-232 will work fine. Depending on the controller you can use Cat5 cabling with the appropriate wiring layout or an RS-232 DE-9 cable (if it has it). From the controller there are usually multiple RJ45 connectors out to the SSRs. For example the Ren64 can drive up to 16 SSRs (16x4 = 64 channels). Vixen supports all of these serial/DMX interfaces - again with conjunction with the dongle/adapter.

edit - - here is the link to the Wiki page for the Ren64 - http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard_64XC

note that the RenSS and other controllers have the SSRs on the boards themselves.

Last edited:
Think of the SSRs as simple switches. They need to be activated by a controller to switch your lights.

There's two types: Centralized and distributed. Centralized is where everything up to and including the final controlled plugs run off one board. Distributed is where the computer connects to the controller and then the controller connects to the remote SSRs via network cabling. The benefit of centralized is reduced cost and reduced part count, perfect for stuff like mega trees or clusters of mini trees. Distributed cost a bit more but lets you locate an SSR just about anywhere on your property without having to run dozens of long extension cords to every corner of the yard.

SSRs would be a component in a distributed setup. Controllers that would be compatible include the Simple Renard 32, Renard Plus 32 and the Renard 64XC.

Read up on the wiki a lot, a ton even before making any purchases.

I can vouch for the Ren32. It had to be the easiest build yet, great job on it Wayne!
I have some Dirkcheap SSR's running off it.

Back