SSR in an outlet box

Nice! well crafted!!! I do much the same thing -- I put my 4-channel MiniRen wireless controllers inside a Carlon box, filling any holes or knockout spaces with hot glue to seal out the really bad stuff... Outlet boxes make excellent SSR containers.

Attachments

• miniren84.JPG
    miniren84.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 189
If you don't break the tabs on the neutral (silver screw) side, that will save two wires. May be easier to fit all in the box.
/mike

Nice! well crafted!!! I do much the same thing -- I put my 4-channel MiniRen wireless controllers inside a Carlon box, filling any holes or knockout spaces with hot glue to seal out the really bad stuff... Outlet boxes make excellent SSR containers.
I knew I had seen it somewhere before!! I just was unsure where.

If you don't break the tabs on the neutral (silver screw) side, that will save two wires. May be easier to fit all in the box.
/mike
I realized that after the first one I built. Actually, I do that on my others, but for simplicity I thought it would just be easier to explain it like I originally did it. I didn't want to start confusing people about sharing neutrals. LOL

From the code standpoint, you used the wrong box, and you can't have the network cable in the box.
If that is the only code I have broken, I think I am doing good!! LOL

... filling any holes or knockout spaces with hot glue to seal out the really bad stuff...

Mr. Nerkle,
Check out "Plumbers Goop" (or Shoe Goop), as I have found that holds up to moisture and cold better than hot glue. It sticks better than silicon seal and as good as hot glue. The bonus is the fumes where you start to see all your lights light up even unpowered!! Whoa- colors!!! :freak:

(Kids, I am making a joke here - do NOT huff things- the fumes are dangerous to your health- dont be stupid.)

Yah, I've used GOOP before. Good stuff. I find that I can usually "force-feed" the hot glue into the knock-out edges, and some of it seeps through a bit, and of course it hardens quickly... so they've worked pretty well. We don't have much rain here in the Winter... it comes as snowflakes :lol: so there's not a lot to keep out.

I like GOOP. Fixed a lot of shoes with it!

That is nice that it uses knockouts for the wire feeds rather than the cheesy built-in open wire clamp in so many electrical boxes. I need to track a few of those down. Thanks for the tip..

Back