SSREZ questions

flgoose

I'm building my SSREZ v 1.3e boards and i have a couple of questions.

The part list calls for BTA04 triacs and moc3023 opto.

I read somewhere that if you use higer amperage triacs then needed they would run cooler. That makes sense to me. I have several BTA12 laying around and wonder if it be ok to use them in the ssrez. I do know that the board amp rating is lower but i'm not planning on going beyond that. Also i have a bunch of MOC3021 as well so i was wondering if i could also use those.

I'm building my SSREZ v 1.3e boards and i have a couple of questions.

The part list calls for BTA04 triacs and moc3023 opto.

I read somewhere that if you use higer amperage triacs then needed they would run cooler. That makes sense to me. I have several BTA12 laying around and wonder if it be ok to use them in the ssrez. I do know that the board amp rating is lower but i'm not planning on going beyond that. Also i have a bunch of MOC3021 as well so i was wondering if i could also use those.

It looks to me like the MOC3021 may work but requires a higher LED Trigger Current to turn on the MOC so you may have to change the resistor (play with it you may find that it works as is). As for the BTA04 and BTA12 looking at the spec sheets the BTA04 requires 5ma Igt to trigger the gate and the BTA12 is 2.5ma to 50ma Igt so ???? The pin out of the device seems to be the same so your good there.

I have asked in the this group a few time if this triac or that triac would work and have been told to just give them a try and see if it works, so with that said i see no harm in trying. However just because its a 12A triac does not meat the the SSRez will support 12A per channel. The traces on the PCB will not stand that current there good only to about 2 amps per channel I.E. the 7amp fuse. Hope this helps good luck and be careful your are working with hazards voltage. When you don't respect it that's when it will get you.

Gary

Not knowing which controller you will be using, I do not recommend using the MOC3021. If you are using the Renard64 you will potentially be placing too much current through the ground pin of the PIC. After changing the value of the input resistor for use with the MOC3021, the ground current through the PIC would be more than 120 mA if all of the PIC outputs are low (i.e. all of the lights are on). While this will probably not kill the PIC, it is outside of its spec.

And using a higher-amperage triac will not cause it to run any cooler...you could use the higher rated triac if it's cheaper, already on-hand or otherwise easier to procure, but don't expect it to run cooler.

Thanks for the input. I do have a couple dozen higher amp triacs and it be good using them. As for the opto. I think i will try to use them without changing the resistors and see what happen. Yes i do have the ren64xc.

Back