strobe warmup time question

ctmal

Supporting Member
I added strobes to my mega tree this year. While testing I noticed that some of the strobes need a little time to "warm up?" before they turn on an start flashing. Is this normal? If so, how do you get the timing of the song down?
There's currently 3 strands with only 4 strobes on each strand.

Thanks.

Sorry to say, yes this is normal. Some people have figured out how to power them to charge up all the time and switch to strobe. I just mixed several types and get a bright random flash.

I added strobes to my mega tree this year. While testing I noticed that some of the strobes need a little time to "warm up?" before they turn on an start flashing. Is this normal? If so, how do you get the timing of the song down?
There's currently 3 strands with only 4 strobes on each strand.

Thanks.

I didn't think it was normal for them not to Flash. The only issue I am aware of with the LED ones is that they are not very Random. They should turn on immediately after power is applied.

Some of the older ones and larger ones need to charge up the capacitor like a camera flash before discharge (flash). I've got about a dozen like that and a big one that takes even longer.

Well, my brother did some initial troubleshooting but the weather is horrible. He said some of the strobes take over a minute to turn on. Others come on perfectly. He tried swapping a good strobe and a "trouble" on but the results so far were inconclusive. I'll troubleshoot more tomorrow.

I think I know the answer but does polarity matter when building the string? I'm leaning thinking there might be an issue with connections in the string.

Back