Success Modifying VictorPV Sketch to Accept Renard Protocol from ESPixelstick

Are you sure the baudrate is correct? Also, you should only have esp GPIO 2 (Data Channel TX)->arduino rx. there is no Data Channel RX. There is no ESP Rx pin defined in the ESP SW. Are you sure you did not connect the Arduino to the console serial line (The pins marked RX/TX are for the CONSOLE)?

Are you sure the baudrate is correct? Also, you should only have esp GPIO 2 (Data Channel TX)->arduino rx. there is no Data Channel RX. There is no ESP Rx pin defined in the ESP SW. Are you sure you did not connect the Arduino to the console serial line (The pins marked RX/TX are for the CONSOLE)?

you were correct. I connected to Tx&Rx, should have been to GPIO2 or D4.

baudrate was correct

thanks

So, do you have it working now?

Code in post #4 REQUIRES zero cross circuitry and supports dimming.

Code in post #1 DOES NOT use zero cross circuitry and does not support dimming.

Are you running this on the combo MEGA/ESP board?

So, do you have it working now?
yes with a Wemos D1R2 connected to a Mega, controlling 12 LEDs on a breadboard.

Code in post #1 DOES NOT use zero cross circuitry and does not support dimming.
I'm using this version I do not need dimming.

Are you running this on the combo MEGA/ESP board?
No, wanted to get it working first. I need the Wifi but you mentioned the reception? I may try that board tonight and report back.

I'm making my own shield with 12 outputs for the El Wire. I would add a ESP-01 to that but I read about issues with the Mega power it? Could I just add a 3.3v battery to the shield (if I can find space). this whole setup will be mobile so I'd hate to have to add another power supply. it will run off a 12v battery pack. The Arduino and the EL inverter are both 12v.

I'm going through all of this because the 8 channel shield is all thats available and I need 12 channels.

this is the circuit for each output, the HV is the AC power for the EL wire.
Screenshot 2022-02-21 161741.jpg

If you have space for a 3.3v battery then you would have space for a 3.3v regulator. I used the MEGA's 5v power to run a 3.3v regulator for the ESP-01. So I only input 9vDC (you could use 12v). I used SOT-223 package.

What are the use for these EL type lights? Costumes?

Last edited:
If you have space for a 3.3v battery then you would have space for a 3.3v regulator. I used the MEGA's 5v power to run a 3.3v regulator for the ESP-01. So I only input 9vDC (you could use 12v).
can you share which regulator you used?

So I tried the combo board, it loaded the ESPixelstick but had issues connecting to wifi sitting on my desk, finally connected but then the pages were really slow to load and the Wemos sitting next to it worked great.

What are the use for these EL type lights? Costumes?
Yes, I did this before, here is a link. I created 3 costumes for Halloween, we were all wireless. My costume had a Pi.

Now I want to do this for daughters dance team but need more channels 12, that's why I'm going down this road. Will have 8-10 dancers.

I used a SOT-223 package 3.3v regulator. I believe it is rated for 500ma. The shield I built was specific for the type of cabling I wanted to use, therefore the rj-45 connectors on the shield. I used RJ-45 cables to route the channel signals. Here is a photo showing the regulator and ESP-01. I built these back in 2017 and still use two of these MEGA systems.
IMG_3466 small.jpg

I am curious about the AC voltage required. Is it 120VAC? How do you get AC to the costumes?

EL Wire typically operates in a range of internal voltage of 80-130+VAC (RMS), depending on the needs of the application. EL Wire can be operated at a wide range of frequency too - the most range from 450-3000Hz range.

I use a 12v inverter to power the wire. But they also make small ones with 2-AA batteries that can power short lengths of power. The inverters make a little humming sound. Its high voltage but the current is really low, I think I've read current limit is like 100ma

this is type of inverter I use.

I got the ESPixelstick flashed and on my network and hooked to the Arduino with several SSRs. any idea how.if the test mode works because I am only getting the random blinks since the arduino is not receiving anything. techzpod.com mobdro apk

Last edited:
You can use https://sacnview.org/

To send data for testing. I have 12 LEDs on a breadboard and I can control them with this method.

Also be sure you only GPIO 02 on the Esp-01 connected to Rx on the Arduino for your data, also the settings in the Pixelstick need to be set to Renard when using the sketch. above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I got the ESPixelstick flashed and on my network and hooked to the Arduino with several SSRs. any idea how.if the test mode works because I am only getting the random blinks since the arduino is not receiving anything.

You can use the ESPixelstick test mode to drive the MEGA sketch. If the test patterns do not work then you have configuration issues.

Did you set the ESPixelstick up for RENARD output when you flashed it? The RENARD configuration takes place in the flashing tool.

I tested the way Kev stated above first to make sure the ESP was communicating with the MEGA, then I used SacnView to send data over WiFi to test that the ESP was receiving the data and sending to the MEGA. The sketch Kev posted needed no modifications, works great.

Back