Successful First Attempt - Now where do I get bulk tree strip?

justaplaneguy

Well -

Pretty much did everything on my own successfully for the first time ever. Built my own pixelsticks, built 5 controllers, a bunch of power and data cables out of ethernet cable, hung my 18 foot mega tree and star and 4 large arches, and got it all working successfully with a bunch of xlights sequences. Pretty satisfied, but I wish I did my megatree in higher definition.

I have to say, I was disappointed in Boscayo's strips. They came in various lengths instead of a nice single roll I could cut to the right length myself which forced me to splice every strip and several broke and made life difficult. That all said, I feel like the most expensive piece of the entire project was these strips when you compare value spent on other things (i.e. LED Nodes.... 1000 for $150, 600 watt power supply for $25, etc...). I wanted to do a 32 strand full 360 tree, but after all the hanging issues and strip breaking or splices breaking, I only had enough to do 16 and decided to do a 180 tree instead.

Hindsight 20 / 20.... I probably should have done 1.5" spacing instead of 3". What I really wanted was a higher definition mega tree. I'm not dissatisfied, but I wish it was a little better resolution. So.... I'd like to order a spool of 1000 ft for the next time. But looking up pricing, this stuff seems ridiculously over priced, and i'm not going with boscayo again. Where would someone go get this stuff in bulk for the best bang for the buck nowadays?

Never had an issue with Boscoyo strip or any product from them. Been using it on my Mega Tree for close to 10 years now with no issues. Bought a couple 1,000 ft rolls of the HD strip when they first brought it out. No issues with my 48x110 270 degree tree with Boscoyo HD strip or the original strip for several years before that. The standard strip comes in 8ft lengths, not various lengths. My Mega Tree has had no issues with 80+ mph winds. No strip has ever broken. Curious if the strip broke or where you connected them did? This is a high quality product!

I also used the Boscoyo strip for my first year. I did get the roll, so you can pick it up in bulk, and the strips are pretty good for a custom tree. My guess is you picked up the individual sections which can see why it became a real pain.

I liked the strip, and if I were to do a bigger mega tree, I'd pick up their HD strip again if I were to buy something else from them. The only issue I have with Boscoyo is some of their props have odd numbers whereas a lot of other coro companies have rounded up or down. For example, the 48 node candy cane. or 102 pixel prop. Can't we just make it 50 or 100? I know I get a lot of defenders telling me why the math works out, but Gilbert Engineering for example has a 50 node candy cane and a 100 node star.

That being said, if you are looking for strip, I would pick up your next roll where you buy your next props. If you are going to get some 48 node candy canes, make sure you get the HD stip on a roll from Boscoyo. If you get the 50 node candy cane from Gilbert Engineering, get their Pixel Mounting/Mega Tree Strip. They have it in rolls too. "YourPixelStore" has some cool products on their site, so would also consider their strip too. A lot of the popular suppliers of the hobby tend to carry a lot of other stuff like the strip, and you can get it in rolls.

Best Bang for the Buck? Thats a tough one, they are all expensive!

I would tell you to stick to the Boscoyo strip, unless you were that disappointed. They should not have come in varied lengths, but all should have been 8 foot. They also have the the mega strip (lg roll), but be careful. I have heard that they do not line up with the individual strips.
I bought the 8 foot strips and overlapped and ty-wrapped them. They are now 8 years old and never had an issue with them. Look as good as the day I bought them.
Whichever you buy, if you are happy with the product after testing, buy extra of that product so you have a replacement if you need it.
Keith

Back