Supporting the forum

dirknerkle

Supporting Member
When you built your display this past season, did you have to run to the store to pick up another extension cord or two? Or did you have to buy another bag of zip ties or some duct tape? Or maybe you bought a few 10' long sections of PVC pipe to make a new display, and so you also picked up a couple cans of black spray paint to hide the PVC pipe, too. Did you maybe order a big spool of SPT wire and some pirate plugs this year? Or when you were walking through the Christmas light area at your local Home Depot or Lowe's, did you happen to toss an extra box of lights or a couple tree ornaments into your cart?

You see, the thing is, we don't think twice about picking up an extra little thing here and there to enhance our shows or add something new.... after all, it's only maybe $15-$20, right?. It's no biggie.

Maybe you might consider that this forum and your fellow members provide you with ideas, assistance, and sometimes extensive technical help in many ways to help you make your show successful and the talk of the neighborhood. The forum has value, too -- at least as much as a bag of zip ties, or a bundle of PVC pipes, or a new extension cord, or another roll of duct tape, don't you think? After all, this "free" forum has operating expenses, too.

If you think the forum is a good thing, maybe you would also consider supporting it by choosing a paid subscription plan. Click "SETTINGS" to get to your personal settings page, then scroll down on the left side to "Paid Subscriptions." Supporting your local big box store by purchasing products is the only way they'll stay open. Same goes for forums such as this one.

Go ahead. Take the plunge. It's only $15-$20.

Last edited:
** REMINDER BUMP **

Have you brought your 2019 DIYC support contribution up to date yet so that this forum can stay alive on Al Gore's web thingy???

C'mon folks. Just do it.

Hey, folks. It's 2020 and it's important that you consider this crass, commercial message.

Have you ordered or purchased any lights or gear already this year? Maybe a bunch of pixels? Did you spend a few hundred bucks on controllers, maybe a couple Raspberry Pi's, and maybe pixel strips? And if you're new at all this, I'll bet you're really anxious for your new gear to arrive so you can start tinkering with it, right? And, I'll also bet that you're expecting to find some help here in the free forums when you run into the normal problems of getting an animated light show running smoothly, too?

Well, operating this place on the web is certainly not free to those that administer it. It's not only a labor of love, it has REAL COSTS, and they're significant costs. I'm not an admin here but I am quite familiar with the costs of running a public forum. Please think about spending just a simple, $20 bill and supporting this great place.

I was reading a couple posts today and noticed Jeff Millard's very nice signature on his account. It says the following:

$20 annually. That's like 5.61 cents a day. I realize that's more than a nickel but its just a little more.
Please consider becoming a Supporting Member of DIYC.

When I decided to log back into this hobby, after almost 10 years away from a display animated to music... the very first thing I did was remember just how valuable the information here was to me. If I'm guessing at something and I'm not sure, I just ask a question and the awesome members line up to help. So much knowledge and experience all in one place. I was standing in my back yard with Brian et al when I believe he made the decision to create this forum. I've watched it evolve. I've seen the result of the minds coming together on TV every year during the Great Christmas Light Fight. I've seen people I really admire win it. I've seen displays that simply wouldn't exist if not for the gathering of minds and ideas from this Forum.

I know the guy who hosts this forum. I'm thankful for that. Please support him in his desire to keep this place online. It could use some updates and security patches. It's a little more than a nickel a day.

Jeff

Can we get a longer subscription option for membership? E.g. 10 years for $200 or a 25 year for $500? No need to discount it, but maybe throw in an extra perk at that price like reducing the timeout for repeat searches to 5s?

I often find myself with an expired membership this time of year and can't quite figure out what's going on.

I would like to see a 2 or 3 year option too. And, a discount would be nice, but not necessary.
Maybe bump the mailbox even larger with a longer subscription?
Can we get a longer subscription option for membership? E.g. 10 years for $200 or a 25 year for $500? No need to discount it, but maybe throw in an extra perk at that price like reducing the timeout for repeat searches to 5s?

I often find myself with an expired membership this time of year and can't quite figure out what's going on.

I have found myself here many, many times. Sorry I had not contributed earlier! Thanks for setting up such a useful tool for us that like a DIY solution. Me and my wife have learned so much, and have gotten so much useful information about the various DIY lighting solutions from this site alone!

Back