Tha addition of "z" and the capabilty for HLS to process imported 3d files for PP's

angus40

Supporting Member
Tha addition of "z" and the capabilty for HLS to process imported 3d files for PP's

Yikes , that was a mouth full to spit out .

Joe

You know where I am heading with this request :)

I know it is probably wish full thinking but this would be a power full addition if possible .

But maybe ...........jusssst maybe , you could ponder the Idea !

cheers
Richard

Re: Tha addition of "z" and the capabilty for HLS to process imported 3d files for P

Sorry.

HLS will NOT have Z or 3D preview.

Actually my MegaTree element IS a 3D tree -- fixed with a view from one location.

I saw a lot of fuss about a 3D visualizer in LOR threads and others sequencer's threads. People saying YES, I want it.

HLS's Preview is a DirectX gaming engine for speed and low resources. Most people don't understand the math and the amount of data calculations that goes into painting a little light (Pixel) on a screen and attempting to update that light at 25msec, 50msec, or 100msec. It's not bad with incans or leds strings -- it grows exponentially with pixels --- and I believe it's the pixel guys who want 3D.

I shake my head -- if someone spends the time getting a 3D preview running -- most, if not all users will be disappointed. It won't handle 25msec timing -- may not handle 50msec.

At times I wonder why people want to do Christmas lighting -- to have a show outside or watch it on a computer screen as a preview or visualizer.

To me, a Preview is a tool that lets you see what your display may look like (not exactly - but close and not to scale). What will someone learn from their sequence by looking DOWN on a MegaTree or moving inside looking up.

3D Sounds cool -- but to me -- it's a waste of time.

Joe

Re: Tha addition of "z" and the capabilty for HLS to process imported 3d files for P

I do not want this for preview Joe

I was hoping you could incorporate z into the x-y matrix just as Madrix has it .

Sorry for not being clear .

You know full well I could give a rats A$$ about preview :)

Don't understand.

A 3D model as seen from a point in space produces a 2D image --- you can place that 2D image into a PP today.

I would assume that the software that produces the 3D model would also produce the 2D image.

So ... I'm lost as to what the request is.

Joe

I too think a 3D preview is a waste of time and resources. the 2D preview today gives a good idea of your layout from the audiences point of view.

Don't understand.

A 3D model as seen from a point in space produces a 2D image --- you can place that 2D image into a PP today.

I would assume that the software that produces the 3D model would also produce the 2D image.

So ... I'm lost as to what the request is.

Joe

I have sent pm to shed light on what I have in mind

Thanks for your ear
Richard

I can see a need for 3D when mapping cube type elements, but madrix does a great job of this and getting any of our sequencers to do it is imho a waste of valuable resources as will only be used by a few.

Now to start learning HLS as it will be the sequencer of choice this year with nutcracker elements and all being run on the FPP

I want to be a member of the Few .

The sheeps path is to well beaten in my view !

Btw Madrix grid is far better than having any preview , the z ability trumps all .

The 3D previews will come in the commercial side just as Madrix has pioneered and perhaps someday trickle down. With the release of the "free" gaming 3d engines this week, perhaps it would not be such a big leap that they can handle thousands of points of light in a black space sometime soon. After all rendering 60 frames a second 2560x1280 resolutions is not easy. Cutting down to 1080P or a bit less for a visualizer with no running players, no shifting near photographic backgrounds, while adjusting your perspective on the fly in 3 dimensions.

There was a fellow on diyla that has a independent visualizer that listens to the e1.31 traffic directly and had different views into the same display. Personally a neat hack would be full support of VR gear so you could walk your display, stand under your megatree, etc, get the drone's eye view, just for fun.

There is a big difference in a Preview and rendering 60 frames a sec video.

The video is easy -- its just block moves of data.

In a Preview -- especially when pixels are involved, each frame has to evaluate each and every pixel and set the color intensity accordingly. Many times more complex and time demanding than showing pictures or video.

Joe

HLS has a multitude of capabilities and as such is my sequencer of choice. Imho refining and adding sequencing options is more important. How many people need this capability. We should also remember that the reason for all this is to celebrate Christmas and the kids enjoying it. Just my opinion.

HLS has a multitude of capabilities and as such is my sequencer of choice. Imho refining and adding sequencing options is more important. How many people need this capability. We should also remember that the reason for all this is to celebrate Christmas and the kids enjoying it. Just my opinion.

If you have not used the .png capabilities within HLS , I would suspect you would never use this feature .

Also this capability would require the use of elements that have a 360 viewing angle to be fully appreciated .

Cheers
and am happy to stir up some controversy !!!!!!

If you are interested in doing something like that cube -- HLS can already do it.

Just create 8 PixelPlanes. Each PP is a plane in the cube.

Joe

If you are interested in doing something like that cube -- HLS can already do it.

Just create 8 PixelPlanes. Each PP is a plane in the cube.

Joe

I had thought this would work also but >

I am just having a tough time envisioning how a .png effect should be applied to 8 separate pixel planes .

So then ,I thought of creating a single PP that is channel ordered as such 8 or the # of stacked slices based on Z.

I guess I am going to have to build the element to test .

Last edited:
Back