Thoughts on adding a new song to show

XmasinVancouver

Ok, so let's start off by saying that clearly everyone is going to have their own tastes and preferences, so the subject is quite subjective. I started off my first two years with basically my entire show being Trans siberian orchestra. Not only because I had just discovered them and thought they were amazing, but because I loved the unorthodox Rock take on all these classics to standout as different. Usually you either get the Pop cover version, or it's classic version (the handful of Christmas "rock" songs notwithstanding). Even though it was a success, and I pulled off some incredibly complex sections of songs, quite frankly, hearing the same handful of songs non stop every night in the background, everything started sounding the same. There was no variety to switch it up and change the pace. A "pallet cleanser" if you will.

So I started adding a few songs each year that weren't necessarily my usual type of music, and mixed them into the existing TSO sequences to try and mix it up. And example would be like (the probably now very cliched) Let it Go from Frozen (by request for a little girl next door), Some Pentatonix songs like Hallelujah and mary did you know, a "punk" song in the form of Sleighride by Relient K etc.... That's felt a little more balanced for sure. For people who come out to see the show that don't live within eyesight, it's fine. But after all of December and at least 2-4 weeks of January with the same songs, and Christmas songs at that, not only am I sick of them, but I'll catch people from the neighborhood muttering about the same Christmas songs. I've tried to grow my sequences for the show and alter them a bit each year as well to try and keep it from getting too repetitive.

Now, this IS a CHRISTMAS light show, not a driveway rave lol. But I've toyed with possibly adding on or two non christmas songs to the mix. Not just for the grumpy, but maybe to also allow enjoyment for the little while after Xmas before it's takedown time. I know a lot of people, even though they are absolutely into Christmas, by the time the day comes and ends, and then leading into New years and early January, many people are burnt out on Xmas. Music especially since it's everywhere. I've thrown this out casually and have gotten everything from enthusiastic yes, to "I wouldn't, it's a Christmas show, it will feel out of place". I was thinking of maybe something that isn't too far out from some of the content. Maybe something like "Daft Punk" By pentatonix. It wouldn't stand out too much since I have other songs by them, but also, if you've heard that song, right from the get go, I was thinking "my god, it's a perfect light show song". Picturing use of Burst wipe in and out with some of the beatboxing FX. etc..

So...General thoughts and/or discussion on 1) Adding non Christmas song(s) to the show. 2) Is Daft punk by Pentatonix a good choice if yes?

One thing that I've come to understand is you don't have to be all "Christmas". Yes, up to and including the 25th, Christmas songs are the majority. But, that period between Christmas and New Years is a good time to bring some other upbeat, forward looking songs into the mix. Rudolph needs a break, and so does your audience.

One thing I have noticed once the switch was made - a good number of those that came during the "Christmas Period", came back to see the new stuff. Same layout, but different songs! It has worked in our favor.

I used this song last year. The Tractors Santa Claus Is Coming (In a boogie-woogie choo-choo train)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

That is one nice song. Guess what is getting added to my list for when we resume in 2021!
BTW - the real train is AWESOME!

I liked the Boogie Woogie Choo Choo, but I ended up downloading the Santa Claus Boogie instead. I don't think it will make 2020, but definitely 2021.

...........So...General thoughts and/or discussion on 1) Adding non Christmas song(s) to the show. 2) Is Daft punk by Pentatonix a good choice if yes?......................

To answer your question - use whatever you like.

There are many examples of non Christmas songs that people use so go for it. I am one of those that like to keep the songs 'related' to Christmas. But as an example, in my opinion, Hallelujah by Pentatonix is not Christmas related but I use it. I also use Birthday by the Beatles because of the birthday celebration.

Ok, like all the input so far. I know this was a specific question thread, but rather than start a brand new one, anybody else have some good song recommendations? Either Christmas or regular music for use with the light show? There's such a specific selection of christmas songs, and it often feels like it's mostly just different takes by different artists on the same ones. But that's the thing, certain versions excel or suit the light show far better. For my part, if you want something entertaining, I strongly recommend "the nutrocker" by TSO. So many things that could be done for sequencing.

By the way, has anyone used "Don't worry be happy/winter wonderland" by Pentatonix? Had not really run into that one, possible potential?

I'm with you, it feels like there's a thousand versions of the same 6 Christmas songs. Each year I try to add one or two new songs. I usually run about a 20 minute show so about 5-6 songs. I don't run the same song 2 years in a row, but will repeat older ones every 3rd to 4th year or so. Or whatever ones I really liked best. Each year I try and add something new to the yard, so I do have to sequence in the new props each time, so it's not always an exact repeat of the song used in the past. I usually try and add a slower song like, Sleigh Ride, or I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day- Casting Crowns, or The first Noel, to help break up the chaos so it doesn't seem like one long song. Couple of our favorite up beat ones include: Santa Clause is Coming to Town- Love Handel (Phineas and Ferb), Greatest Time of Year-Aly and AJ, TSO, Mannheim Steamroller, and many more. Check out Engh-Lights on YouTube for our shows.

Santa Clause is Coming to Town- Love Handel (Phineas and Ferb)

YES!!!!!! I don't know if you just know the song itself, or if you have kids and got to enjoy this hidden gem! One of the very few "kids shows" that 1) isn't incredibly annoying 2)Is hilarious even for us adults (particularly of a certain age) or 3) Has a ton of references and jokes and innuendo specifically meant for parents and adults that the kids find funny and don't have any idea what it really is. Tons of pop culture references going back to the 60's. 4) Incredibly strong song writing and production that was really clever and funny. Particularly since this was an animated kids show, you wouldn't expect much time spent on it, but the songs are some of the funniest stuff. lol

Love Handel is an homage to the washed out 80's glam rocker bands of yesteryear.

Big fan of the show. I'm pretty sure i got my kids to like it instead of the other way around.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ok, like all the input so far. I know this was a specific question thread, but rather than start a brand new one, anybody else have some good song recommendations? Either Christmas or regular music for use with the light show? There's such a specific selection of christmas songs, and it often feels like it's mostly just different takes by different artists on the same ones. But that's the thing, certain versions excel or suit the light show far better. For my part, if you want something entertaining, I strongly recommend "the nutrocker" by TSO. So many things that could be done for sequencing.

By the way, has anyone used "Don't worry be happy/winter wonderland" by Pentatonix? Had not really run into that one, possible potential?

Here's my Christmas play list, in alphabetical order:

Appalachian Snowfall - TSO
Believe (from The Polar Express soundtrack) - Josh Groban
Carol of the Bells - David Foster
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy - Pentatonix
Do You Hear What I Hear - Spiraling
Favo(u)rite Time of Year - Florin St Band
First Snow - TSO
Into the Unknown - Idina Mendel (Frozen II soundtrack)
Let It Go - Idina Mendel (Frozen soundtrack)
Little Drummer Boy - Pentatonix
Love is Christmas - Sara Bareilles
Mary, Did You Know? - Pentatonix
Music Box Dancer - DJ Schwede version
Where Are You, Christmas? - Faith Hill (The Grinch movie with Jim Carrey)
Winter Wonder - Florin St Band
Wizards in Winter - TSO

Obviously, this is a Christmas-heavy playlist, but Music Box Dancer & the songs from the Frozen movies aren't really "Christmasy". This year, we are sequencing a couple more songs: Sarajevo/Christmas Eve by TSO and You're a Mean One, Mr Grinch (also from the Grinch movie). I've only been doing this a few years now, and so far I have gone back and done some minor and major alterations to the sequences to give things a different look. Funny you should bring this topic up because I was just discussing this with my family, in that there are certain songs that lend themselves to the season and there are some that don't really have anything to do with the season but are fun to sequence.

My Playlist is a bit different I am sure:

32 Feet and 8 Little Tails - Dale Evans & The Sons of the Pioneers
Angels We Have Heard on High - For King and Country
Because It's Christmas - Sidewalk Prophets
Carol of the Bells - The Piano Guys
Come on a Sleigh Ride with Me - Johnny Tillotson
Cool Yule - Louis Armstrong
Do You Hear What I Hear - Spiraling
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Bare Naked Ladies
Jingle Bells - Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters
Joy to the World - The Citizens
Light of Christmas - Owl City
Linus and Lucy - Vince Guaraldi Trio
Man with the Bag - Brian Setzer Orchestra
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer - Monique Danielle
Skating - Vince Guaraldi Trio
Snow Day - Toby Lightman
White is in the Winter Night - Enya
Winter Wonderland - California Raisins
Yabba Dabba Yuletide - Brian Setzer Orchestra

I end up doing 2 - 3 new songs each year, so my show is getting up to about 1 hour long. I break it up into two shows that run on alternating nights.

"...I end up doing 2 - 3 new songs each year, so my show is getting up to about 1 hour long. I break it up into two shows that run on alternating nights...."

Yeah, I was wondering about that as my show goes for about an hour right now. I should probably break up my show into alternating nights - plus, that would make it so it's not the same show every night.

I actually have more sequenced songs than this, but I trimmed a few last year for various reasons, so here was my show from last year:

1 min Countdown- The final countdown song (as a tongue in cheek)
Intro- THX Intro theme
Owl-Toby mac- Light of Christmas
Relient K- Sleigh Ride
Pentatonix- Dance of the sugar plumb fairy
Pentatonix-Hallelujah
TSO- Sarajevo
Pentatonix- Mary did you know
TSO-- Requiem and Joy to the world custom mashup mix
TSO-Wizards in winter
TSO-Canon Rock Version
TSO- Russian
Frozen Soundtrack- Let it go
TSO- The nutrocker

I also had a clip from a song called light em up by fallout boy just because it was so incredibly perfect for working with a light show. The chorus says Light em up up up x3 then "on FIreeeeee". So lighting up a different prop on every up and fire/flame effect across everything lol. Stuck that in at a transition point.

Hey XmasinVancouver,

I actually started my show in 2018 with 4 songs. Griswold Intro, Pentetonix White Winter Hymnal, Linus speech with Cloverton Hallelujah, and The Greatest Show. Not really classic Christmas songs, but fun none the less and my daughters loved it. I updated the Linus Hallelujah song and added TSO Wizards in Winter for 2019, all big hits. So as long as you and your family love it, then mix in whatever you like :)

Here is the link to my 2019 playlist: The Electrical Elf - Ruhlens on River Bottom Rockin Christmas Spectacular

Back