Tire rim

DrNeutron

I am having a devil of a time finding some 1/4" steel to make a tree topper, the scrap yard is a miss at this point.
I am limited in my area to finding some sheet metal that would work and not cost a small fortune.
Then it hit me....
Why not a steel rim from maybe a small trailer or ATV?
Seems like a reasonable replacement, just drill some holes for J hooks and away you go. ​
I realize the bolt holes may not line up with a flange, but this should be easy to fix as well.
Has anyone done this? Any issues? Is it strong enough for a 10' tree?

Sounds like a good Idea. I am using a plastic topper on a 16' tree. No reason to think a (not rusted) metal topper would have an issue.

I use hard oak (wood) on my 16 foot tree. With several coats of polyurethane it has lasted 5 season and still looks new. Hardwood is a great resource to build a seasonal tree topper. With some good waterproof wood glue, you can custom build at home. If you protect it with a good UV Polyurethane, and check it at takedown, wood could last as long as the straps....maybe longer.

Now if you feel you need metal, the tire rim is a great idea.....maybe a child's bicycle rim could work too.

As I was reading your post, I thought of the bicycle wheel also. Much lighter and probably just as durable. I don't know what supplies are avaialble where you live, but some 3/8" HDPE (like a cheap cutting board) could also be made to work. Cut a circle, drill some holes..... you get it.......

I use hard oak (wood) on my 16 foot tree. With several coats of polyurethane it has lasted 5 season and still looks new. Hardwood is a great resource to build a seasonal tree topper. With some good waterproof wood glue, you can custom build at home. If you protect it with a good UV Polyurethane, and check it at takedown, wood could last as long as the straps....maybe longer.

Now if you feel you need metal, the tire rim is a great idea.....maybe a child's bicycle rim could work too.

I tried plywood last year (only 5/8"), it held up ok but sagged a bit with the weight of 16 strings of pixels and the high winds we get on east coast.
I thought about a bicycle rim as well but that is kind of large and not as sturdy as a steel rim would be, wanted something with around 12" or a little bigger diameter.
I think an ATV or small trailer rim would be about right size.
May cut it in half to reduce weight.

Wow, lots of good ideas!
Yeah hadn't thought of rotor and drums.
Should be easy to get something from scrap yard.
:biggrin2:

I tried plywood last year (only 5/8"), it held up ok but sagged a bit with the weight of 16 strings of pixels and the high winds we get on east coast.
I thought about a bicycle rim as well but that is kind of large and not as sturdy as a steel rim would be, wanted something with around 12" or a little bigger diameter.
I think an ATV or small trailer rim would be about right size.
May cut it in half to reduce weight.

Hah! Plywood isn't wood. 3/4 actual unfinished Oak is what I use. 5 years and as straight as first day, plus I can stand on it and bounce a little. No guts to jump on it. It is liable to hold fine, but not willing to risk a rebuild.

Hah! Plywood isn't wood. 3/4 actual unfinished Oak is what I use. 5 years and as straight as first day, plus I can stand on it and bounce a little. No guts to jump on it. It is liable to hold fine, but not willing to risk a rebuild.

LOL I hear ya!
But with the current price of wood, steel is probably cheaper hahaha.

I'm in the middle of building a tree topper using a hardened steel 24" farming disc. I have to blow holes out of the disc to mount the 1/4 #20 hooks with a plasma cutter tomorrow. I will have pictures to load soon with the update.
Disc topper small.jpg

Back