Trains in displays

stiffman

Hi everyone,
I signed up last year, but haven't posted too much.
Just starting to plan our Christmas display for 2012. It will be nowhere near as huge as many of the displays I see here, but it will be our display
Anyway, getting around to the topic. I see there is a section for trains, but very limited posts!

Is it just that trains are a small part of displays, or not many people have trains in their displays? I was hoping to see some inspiration on what people run in their front yard.

I'd love to run a train in the display this year, but all I have are a few HO trains. G Gauge would be nice, but it can get expensive real quick.
Custom built is always an option, but I imagine building track can get painful pretty quick as well.

If anything, I might be able to convince myself to get one of those cheapo G Gaugeish plastic, battery operated sets, or even better, two, for more track.

not sure what i'm asking really. lol. does anyone else run trains in their yard displays?

I'm going to be working on one but other things keep getting in the way. I've got the wheels, I thought I had a motor but didn't like the response of it. I'll be looking at getting a wheelchair motor soon. I've been wanting to add a train for the past 2 years. Next year will be the year for it.

I'm a G-gauge railroader (live steam, actually) and haven't added trains to my layout for a couple of reasons (first, that steam thing would have me sitting out front all night every night; second, I like to keep the two hobbies separate -- when I'm frustrated with one, I can go work on the other).

I think garden scales would only work if you have a close-in front yard (actually, mine would be perfect -- 24 feet from the face of the house to the sidewalk) because if the viewing is too far from the trains, even G-gauge would be too small.

As with when you're first getting into holiday lights, Craigslist, Freecycle and garage sales are your friends: I know people who've picked up full railroads at garage sales for pennies on the dollar.

If you live in California, Orchard Supply Hardware always sells as part of its holiday sales an inexpensive G-gauge locomotive, rolling stock and track kit for like $50.

HTH.

\dmc

Like dmcole, I am a live steamer myself. I'm involved with 1/8 scale, 7.5" gauge trains. While almost perfect size to be seen with great clarity, there are issues involved with radius of track curves that make it entirely impractical for any commercial products. The link that kychristmas posted shows a good DIY train that can take turns with relative ease. G-guage may be practical for some displays with a smaller yard, but anymore than 20 feet away and no one will ever see it over the lights.

Back