Troubleshooting DIY E1.31 Bridge, network not connecting, no link

DrWizard

I have an old E1.31 bridge (by Dave Lovely) v1.3 which I used for a few years, then no longer needed it and stored it away (in an anti-static bag) for a few more years. Then I wanted to use it to test some generic Chinese DMX controllers so I pulled it back out and hooked it up, and... it didn't work. Would not connect to the network, and didn't even get a link light on it or the network switch. Knew the old static IP address it was assigned to which was still valid and not a conflict so that wasn't the problem. Emailed Dave for troubleshooting info and he suspected it was the Wiz820io adapter module. Makes sense. Found an alternate way to hook up the DMX controllers and did not order a replacement Wiz module and put it away again for several more years. Fast forward to this week, and once again I would like to use it for testing some crappy old DMX controllers. Ordered a brand new W5500 module (new model, but [supposedly] fully compatible with the Wiz820io), installed it, and-- same problem. The Propeller microcontroller is obviously running since the red status LED comes on after a short delay, followed by 3 blinks of the green ACT LED. I have 3.3 volts at the regulator but not to the module. Tracing out the circuit board, it seems the two 3.3VIN pins on the W5500 module are not connected to the regulator or power bus, but rather go to a couple of the pins on the Propeller chip, and each of two 3.3VIN power pins goes to a different pin on the Propeller.
I have also tried a hard reset. I do not have a schematic or the source code and can't find contact info for Dave. I do not have an oscilloscope but I do have a logic analyzer. I can again fall back and use alternate methods to connect the DMX controllers, but I would nonetheless still like to get this E1.31 bridge working again. Perhaps someone can tell me why the W5500 power is connected to the Propeller and not the regulator, and why the Propeller (and the firmware) is not supplying it power?
Suggestions????

I know this is a rather obvious question but is the orientation of the wiznet correct?
I was bit by this a long time ago.....you naturally think the ethernet port would face outwards and not into the board.

DrNeutron: That was indeed the problem! I got bit also. Thanks to Dave Lovely for pointing out my mistake!

Back