Tune to sign - anchoring from wind

pyro2k

Hi what are people doing to anchor their flat props such as a tune to sign? I purchased one of the following items which measures about 2x4':

https://boscoyostudio.com/product/tune-to-sign-matrix/

I am thinking to build a frame out of 2x3 or 2x4 or 1.5 pvc.

How do I keep this from turning into a sail during high winds? We had at least a few days in December with 50mph wind gusts.

Will strapping the frame to cinder blocks or landscape spikes in the ground keep this in place?

My other option is to strap this to my porch railings with u-bolts or a bunch of zip ties and hope for the best.

Thanks

My tuneto is 2'x4' mounted on 3/4" pvc. 5' leg at each end to the ground also made from 3/4" PVC. Sign is up against a lamp post with a set of shock cords going around the poll. 70 MPH winds did not move it.

I use 2 T style fence posts and have connected my 18"x54" banner to these for years. I do use a piece of 1/4" plywood behind the vinyl banner for extra strength. I have then Zip Tied the board and banner to the fence posts.

So is this a lean-to arrangement? For the fence posts, do you do the whole bit with pouring cement bulbs in the ground, then just dig them out at the end of the season? That's how my actual fence is done (except I only dig out the posts every 15 years).

So is this a lean-to arrangement? For the fence posts, do you do the whole bit with pouring cement bulbs in the ground, then just dig them out at the end of the season? That's how my actual fence is done (except I only dig out the posts every 15 years).

No cement, I just pound the T fence post into the ground using a Fence post driver. I then use a fence post puller to remove them from my yard after show season is complete.

I don't have a concrete anchored pole nearby so I think I am going to have to tie the frame to cinder blocks

f19b07d70a7ef52bb0d4f930d0e1489c.jpg

I took a toilet flange and bolted it to a patio block. Then bolt that patio block to two others as the base. 4” pvc pole screwed to the toilet flange. Then a smaller pvc ( don’t remember the size) through a hole drilled through the 4” pvc. Some eye hooks in the cross piece that my sign hangs from. Never a problem even with 60mph + gusts.

Last edited:
After seeing this brilliant use of a toilet flange, this screams to me "Mega tree topper". I'm curious if anyone (including blantrip) sees any obvious issues with sticking a toilet flange on top of 4" PVC pipe at the top (instead of the bottom, as the tune-to sign does) and fastening zip ties...bungee cords...whatever...directly onto the flange and then onto the mounting strips for the pixels?

So in other words, take this awesome tune-to sign, flip it upside-down, remove the patio block, and for a mega tree slip all your pixels onto the flange...going on down back to the ground. I think you could fit about 30 ties in the flange, and because the flange is so small, the tension would warp the flange very little. It would all be a compression force directly into the PVC.

Anything obvious that I am missing?

Last edited:
I know this is off topic of the original but we use a pvc 4" to 3" reducer for our megatree. It has 16 hooks screwed in it for the lights to attach and it itself is attached to guy wires(sorry, I forget the name of the metal rope stuff) that goes up through pulleys and down to a crank. That way we can hook up the lights on the ground and crank it up.

Do you have a floor drain that affixes to the PVC pole? Or do you just improvise?

It's this item from the local big box store:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Shower-Drain-Bases-6-in-L-Circle-Round-Shower-Drain/1000730500

I have this sitting on top of 2" PVC as mentioned. I then drilled 12 holes and put in j-hooks with 2 strands of boscoyo light holder straps per hook. My medium tree edition is 6' tall and I can post a picture if you want to see the details. I'll need guy wires and some cinder blocks to hold it down due to wind but it worked well last season.

12 holes isn't too much for a 6" flange or so. I have them evenly spaced and the light strips get a little crowned at the top but the all stretch out fine.

I'm surprised how many holes you guys are fitting into that much PVC. Do you stagger it vertically?

No staggering, the only holes I needed where to put the hooks in. Believe it or not, there's plenty of room. We just then put a loosely tightened zip tie on the end of the string then hook that on.

Back