Unable to find Raspberry Pi3 and FPP on wifi

Maxpaynis

Hey guys, so I am super new to this hobby and have been combing through all of these forums for what to buy and how to set things up. I don't have one programming bone in my body and I am slowly getting beat up by different problems that keep rearing their ugly heads.

My latest issue is this: I have a Sandevice e682 that I am using to control about 1900 LEDs. I have been able to use ethernet from my computer to the controller (after some hangups) and control the lights properly. I dont want to tie up my computer for the lights during the season so I went and bought a raspeberry pi 3b with a wifi adapter. I did everything I was supposed to do for setting up the raspberry pi (downloaded the OS and etched FPP onto the SD card) but I cannot find the pi with the Falcon Player program. I have tried the fpp.local, and the raspberrypi.local, and even typing in the IP address but everytime it times out. I can hook up the Pi via ethernet to my router and the fpp.local works fine.

Am I wrong in thinking that I would be able to access the Pi w/FPP from my main computer where I do the sequencing? I thought that was the whole purpose of having a Pi with a WIFI adapter so that it didnt have to be hardwired into anything and easily accessible?

I have tried giving the Pi a static IP address but to be honest I have the slightest clue what I am doing or if I am doing things right. When logging into my router, I cant even see the Pi on the list of DHCP but the Pi is able to access its web browser. I am at a loss right now and could really use some mentoring/help.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for my poor programming lingo. Im sure there are quite a few of you scratching your heads at my jargon.

Back