USB to Renard, what is the 'modern' way to make this happen?

algerdes

Supporting Member
In the past, I ran a usb dongle off of a PiCap connected to a Raspberry Pi to send signals to a string of SS8, SS16 boards that run Renard.
I will be using several of these style connections around the display/park this year, but currently only have one dongle available.

This means I need to make several stand-a-lone controller/FPP driven controllers.

What is the newest method of doing this?

Thanks for any comments in this area.

ALG

pixel sticks V3 and V4 have direct renard output. If you use a DigQuad you could have 5 renard outputs with Wifi or ethernet or FPP Remote mode.

All I'll need is one output off of each FPP. The renards will be hundreds of yards apart (with pathways and drives in between) in different quadrants of the 55 acre park.

All I'll need is one output off of each FPP. The renards will be hundreds of yards apart (with pathways and drives in between) in different quadrants of the 55 acre park.
Well, that changes things!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I appreciate the information passed my way. I'll keep it mind if we move things together.
The good news is that each area will be independent. One feed to a couple of SS16s and/or SS8s, daisy chained together.
It is how to get a Renard signal to them that has me baffled at this moment. More study and remembrance needed. :(

If you have an extra DIYLEDExpress Bridge laying around, that works well if you're running things off a Pi Player. Certainly not the "newest" way to do it, but it works.

I use a PiZeroW with a RHL Simple Pi Pixel. It gives you 2 pixel outputs, but also a DMX or Renard signal output as well. It's a cheap enough solution if you can find the Pi ZeroW for a good price. I got mine a few years ago when they were still plentiful.

HTH

I'm not sure if I understand fully what you are looking for but just for information this is what I do.

I use PB16 or BBB16 Pixel controllers. I know other Pixel controllers have Renard and or DMX outputs
and that's what I use. I have to change firmware on Renard boards to DMX and to include the channel numbers
that the particular board covers. A cat5 cable out to first Renard then daisy chain from there.

You might consider using an XBee to send signals directly to Renard controllers. The XBee Pro has a range up to about a mile depending on the baud rate you want to use. Put one in the center of all the action and you could do it from there. I don't think you'd experience cellular interference even though XBee runs in the 2.4GHZ spectrum because XBee's protocol is designed to be immune to cellular. It can also use frequencies that cell channels don't use. Worth exploring....

If I'm reading this right, you're asking what people are using instead of a dongle + rs485 converter(which I used to use). What I use now is and all in one FTDI cable. I think this is the one I have (I can confirm if you want to go this route).
https://ftdichip.com/products/usb-rs485-we-1800-bt/

The FTDI products are a bit more expensive than other options but since I got these, I've never had an issue with them. And, they work fine with both that Raspberry pi's and Windows. I just added a network keystone jack on the end and plug my network cable into that.

I'm a bit unclear on what you're asking for, but I tend to think that a wireless solution would be preferable to running hundreds of feet of cable around that would potentially subject to infiltration by AC line voltages from leaking or damaged AC cables which are presumably also running somewhat in parallel.

usb-to-uart-circuit-diagram-schematic-1056x720.png

Thanks for the ideas folks!
I just went through my stock of SS16 and SS8 controllers and discovered that they were converted to DMX. Great find!

I'm going to load some Raspberry Pi 3(+) boards with Dave's PiCap. I believe that will give me the output to drive the string of SS boards.
Tests will be conducted to see how the RPi/Picap combos react to power cycling each night.

Might be something a little more simple and purpose built. RS-485 terminal with built in WiFi. Drop one at each zone, mesh in to private WiFi, and a network of virtual serial ports distributed across the WiFi bubble. Same concept as the USB dongle... Just replace USB with WiFi.

https://a.co/d/8xJaw3c

USRCN Industrial Serial to WiFi and Ethernet Converter Realize Serial Data and TCP/IP Data Package Transparent Transmission Modbus RTU to TCP Modbus Polling

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

That puts the individual bits on the WiFi. That causes lag and sync issues. It is one of the reasons using FPP Remote works better for WiFi based shows.

Thanks error650 for the suggestion. Unfortunately the distances involved would be prohibitive, not to forget the number of trees and other barriers. (See Horner Recreational Park, Lebanon IL - https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...216343!4d-89.8208422!16s/g/1tjrqqwd?entry=ttu).

As MartinMueller2003 stated, the amount of data on a standard wifi signal would introduce a LOT of lag (ask me how we know.) I could put up a Ubiquiti multi-point bridge, but really don't want to get that involved.

Since these are all "stand-a-lone" prop groups, wired to a RPi with a PiCap would be our choice. Since the SS16 and SS8 boards are all DMX (a wonderful find of information forgotten over the years), this is going to be simple.

Thanks again everyone.

Back