Useless Black Pixel Effects

szaske

Here is my scenario. I'm placing words on my matrix. Green lettered "Christmas" on a solid black background. When I "Drop External Pixel Plane Effect on RGB Channels" HLS fills every pixel in my matrix. So 95% of my matrix gets a black effect.

I'm using the Background layer, and so I don't want HLS placing what I assume are useless black effects on my matrix. My hope was to use the transparent color/alpha channel to fix this problem. As HLS is currently, if you have transparent pixels in a PNG, HLS converts them to WHITE.

So to be more specific, I'd like HLS's "Convert Folder of PNG images to Effect" feature to support transparent pixels (you might call them 100% Alpha channel pixels). When it sees a transparent channel it should skip the effect on that channel. This would make it so when you "Drop External Pixel Plane Effect on RGB Channels" HLS would ONLY fill in those pixels that actually had content on them.

I guess a second way of solving this problem would be for HLS to have a feature that just deletes Black pixel effects. I am curious Joe if black pixel effects are ignored by HLS or if they could cause performance problems. I'm sure it bloats the sequence files.

-=Steve

I'm betting what you think is BLACK in your effects is not BLACK.

I just checked my code --- NC, PNG, and External on RGB channels ALL allow the Background to come thru the effect's color is truly BLACK.

Black is RGB(0,0,0).

If it's NOT RGB(0,0,0) then I take your direction as show the pixel as BLACK and DO NOT allow the Background to come thru.

If you are getting your effects from NC --- you might want to check what is used for Black.

Joe

I have no issues with black pixel effects .
In fact they come in handy .

Last edited:
Angus, I don't believe HLS, or any software can really do anything with black pixel effects. I think they just get ignored. I'm just worried black pixel effects will bloat up the file size. I was able to find a cool work around for this however, using the data in the Pixel Plane Effect file I was able to sort my view by color. Then I could just do one quick delete to delete all of my background colors/pixels with one quick delete in HLS. I tell you, I love the ORDER column in HLS display group. That feature alone has helped me do some amazing effects in HLS.

-=Steve

Back