Using Pixel strips on a real tree

TomsLEDs

Supporting Member
I have an aborvitae tree that has outgrown the Twinkly lights i use on it. Thinking of buying several pixel strips and tie them at the top and fan them out at the base. Could I still use a meagtree layout in Vixen?

Pixel strips are very easily damaged due to movement. A tree, catching a gust of wind, would move them quite a bit - enough to break the copper within the strip. Read that as repair after repair after repair.

Now, if you meant "strings" with individual nodes/bulbs, then you need to make sure the stress in any movement is not being placed on the connection points at each node. We used cable to attach the pixels to, with the data and power wires between NOT taking on any stress. Worked great.

What algerdes said. If your branches sway in the wind at all, you're inviting the Angel of Christmas Medieval Torture upon yourself. But it could be done, so long as you're aware of the potential problem.

First: Yes megatree will work in vixen.
Next, I use 5m 3:1 IP68 silicon sleeve pixel strings attached to a tree in my front yard. There is very little tension on them and they do move a lot. The biggest problem I have is squirrels and chipmunks chewing up the wires. They don't seem to like the silicon sleeve. I will occasionally find one of the wires chewed off and the end dragged into a nest at the base of the tree.

Thanks guys. I always buy with the sleeve. Had not had squirrels chew any wires but I did have a local cat who chewed on my Santa sleigh display wire several times. You would think a scene like National Lampoons Christmas Vacation would happen, but it's only low voltage DC. I think I will work that skit in my show this year.,

Something to think about ...

In the history of this "hobby", we used to do a lot of things using strips. Window trim, gutter lines, mega-trees, matrix panels, etc. Somewhere along the timeline the mantra of "friends don't let friends use strips" came about. As some of the folks spouting this mantra are considered in the upper echelons of practitioners, most followed this advice. Most.

Now, if you don't tell anyone, we have a "PEX Tree" (16 feet tall with 16 "legs", 3/4" PEX tubing with 30/10 strips inside) that has been in use since 2014. We have replaced several strips along the way, but for the most part they have worked just fine. (It helps that the PEX tubing is mounted in such a way that it cannot move.)

I have often wondered just how much movement they would be able to take, but alas, I followed the group. (It doesn't hurt to be a lemming, once in a while.)

I use a strip on my driveway. As in our trucks drive over it every day. It fits inside the expansion joint. Have to use a leaf blower from time to time, because if a tire drives onto twig...which presses onto the strip...bad things.

I am one of the people that removed all of the 1:1 strips from my show. They had horrible reliability issues. My 3:1 strips have less heat at the LED junction and seem to last just fine (wildlife excluded).

My experience with strip failures has been mostly attributed to too much movement at critical points such as input leads or output leads. Also custom splicing solder joints. When done proper and added rigidity imposed, I have not had failures. I am still using strips from 4 years ago. If you buy a decent brand and go the extra mile to customize it properly, you should not have problems.

I have a strip failure in the middle of a PEX arch, on a WS2815 strip. It's supposed to be a waterproof strip. My 5-meter arch became a 3-meter arch. I would love to know why the pixel went out in the middle, but I don't. My most likely cause: sometimes pixels just fail.

Sometimes pixels do fail. Sometimes there is vibrations that break internal solder joints. At worst case a trace can be broken for nothing more than being moved and shaken, even in the slightest.

Back