Using Pixelnet with HLS

mimir

I have been going back and forth between HLS and Vixen (2.1) for my show sequencing. I really like the abilities to move things around in HLS and the combining of the RGB channels, but I have run into a problem. I have a mini-mega tree that uses RJ's pixelnet and smart string controllers. I am not sure if you are familiar with this protocol, but it is basically E1.31 that is interpreted differently to get 4096 channels out of one DMX universe. I understand that HLS will only output channels in 512 blocks, but I have one small problem. On one of my strings the three channels come out to be Universe 2 511 for red, U2 512 for Green and U3 1 for Blue. I have currently defined this in HLS as all RGB except for this one errant pixel, which I left as 3 channels and then continued on to the rest of the pixels as RGB. The question I have is if I want to define a pixel plane for this tree, will it know to jump universes?

Thank you for making the software, and for supporting all us newbies!

John

John

When you create a pixel plane it is no different on the front end of hls as far as defining universes .

you still define the channel-universe orientation as you see fit .

I believe that Joe has > behind the scenes with his magic < condensed the user defined rgb channel count for the pixel plane to a single grid line with

the idea of easier sequencing and less grid-real estate management .

If you have hardware to test i would create a pixel plane and run a few effects to verify your logic , I think you are right on track .

Hope this helps .

hello
I use etherdongle/pixles and HLS
Here is what you can do
HLS- Manage Channels/manage raw channels
your number of pixels you want to use for your tree or pixel plane, click on the add a pixel plane button enter pixels.
under universe column at pixel 171 click on it and scroll down another 170 pixels, type 2 in the renumber universe box.
keep dingng this till all of your pixles are selected (universe 3, universe 4 Ect). Now in the Multible DMX group column select the whole column and over in the text box Multible DMX group (I use 1) enter it and click the button. Last step click renumber channels for output button, very important step.

What RJ does is he sends out 4096 channels down 1 pixelnet universe, BTW the pic breaks it down to 8 DMX universes of 512not to be confused with the pixelnet side of smart string hub .

Vixen understands pixelnet but Hls dosent. Joe works his magic here so HLS can talK to Pixelnet.

I really like HLS, I'm quite happy with it.
Jess

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. I too really like HLS! I will follow your instructions tonight after work.

John

Sent from my Motorola Atrix2 via Tapatalk 2

I tried your directions and it took pixel 171 and moved it to universe 3 channel 1 and left 510 as the last channel used in universe 2. Pixel 171 is in the middle of a string. Does this mean I need to reprogram my SSC addresses?

Here is how the tree is configured: 12 strings of 21 pixels each. When I was programming the SSC channels I started with channel 513 and then just added 63 each time for the next SSC. I was hoping to avoid reprogramming the SSC's, but I of course will if I have to.

Thanks again for your help.

John

I did a thread or a video on Pixelnet. --- Search the forum.

Create a single Universe that holds ALL of your PixelNet channels - up to 4096

PixelNet accepts a single USB based Universe of up to 4096 channels (I referr to it as a Huge Universe) - then RJ processes it from there - I do NOT do any E131.

So - pick your Transport as USB - then Pixelnet from there.

Joe

I tried your directions and it took pixel 171 and moved it to universe 3 channel 1 and left 510 as the last channel used in universe 2. Pixel 171 is in the middle of a string. Does this mean I need to reprogram my SSC addresses?

Here is how the tree is configured: 12 strings of 21 pixels each. When I was programming the SSC channels I started with channel 513 and then just added 63 each time for the next SSC. I was hoping to avoid reprogramming the SSC's, but I of course will if I have to.

Thanks again for your help.

John

This is wrong - see my post.

Joe

Thank you so much for the help Jess and Joe. I put the whole pixel tree in the same universe and everything is golden now.

Joe thanks again for all the work you have put into HLS. It is a very nice program.

John

Back