Using Standard Co=

Using Standard Co-Op SSR's with Firegod

I understand that if you are using Co-Op SSR's you need to use the sinking code and install the LED"s backwards.

The Wiki states: "The field modules have optional LEDs on the boards. If the LEDs are installed, the SSR resistor should be 510 ohms."

The part I'm confused on:

If I did not install the LED"s. Should the LED holes be jumpered across? And then, would a 680 ohm value for the SSR resistor be ok?

Thanks.

-Craig

Last edited:

I understand that if you are using Co-Op SSR's you need to use the sinking code and install the LED"s backwards.

The Wiki states: "The field modules have optional LEDs on the boards. If the LEDs are installed, the SSR resistor should be 510 ohms."

The part I'm confused on:

If I did not install the LED"s. Should the LED holes be jumpered across? And then, would a 680 ohm value for the SSR resistor be ok?

Thanks.

-Craig

Yes.

The LED silkscreen outline is correct for sinking SSRs. Just make sure you understand the polarity and install the LEDs correctly. The long leg of the LED is positive and the short leg is negative.

For Co-Op sinking SSRs: The positive lead of the LED is connected to the SSR and negative to the PIC.

The LED silkscreen outline is correct for sinking SSRs. Just make sure you understand the polarity and install the LEDs correctly. The long leg of the LED is positive and the short leg is negative.

For Co-Op sinking SSRs: The positive lead of the LED is connected to the SSR and negative to the PIC.

Is this true? Are the leds on the boards, correct for sinking SSR's? I was under the impression the first ones, were for sourcing SSR's...

After reading several of these, they seem to contradict each other. I'd rather get it correct ONCE...

For sinking SSR's, the Oz, for example, what is the orientation of the led? And, how does it relate to the silkscreen (and pad) on the boards?

Thanks,

Roger

Roger...Firegod refered to Sinking SSRs as the type where the PIC sources and the SSR sinks the current. This is just the opposite of what SSRz does.

You need to reverse the LEDs. Look at the board..it is easy to see which leg goes to the pic and which one goes to the connector. This way, it does not matter what the silkscreen has on it.

I can't wait to get home and build mine!

Chris

Roger...Firegod refered to Sinking SSRs as the type where the PIC sources and the SSR sinks the current. This is just the opposite of what SSRz does.
I can't wait to get home and build mine!
Chris

"Roger, this is HAL...mental block firmly in place, confusion factor increased to maximum. Awaiting instructions..."

Can't get my head around this. The Oz SSR's are considered "sink SSRs" as they have a common +5 vdc, and are switch on with the negative signal, right? At least that's how I understand it.

The PICS are just a bit over my head, although I am trying to understand it. Just different than all my experiences.

Which programming should I use on my PIC, the sink or source? And what is the signal coming off of the pic? You mention seeing which leg goes to the pic, and which to the connector. However, which leg goes to which??

I'm so confused!!

R

Sinking Code is needed....the orginal FG system Sourced Current from the PIC to the SSR (all his SSRs had a common Ground).

The sinking code refers here to the fact that the PIC is sinking the current.

Yes, the coop SSRs all have a common +5VDC sent to them...the "connection to ground" or SINKING THE CURRENT is what the PIC will do.

okay...with the SINKING CODE...the negative side of the LED must go the the PIC. The LED Cathode...short leg has to go the PIC.

The Long leg is the positive side and needs to go toward the connector. The current flows from the common +5VDC at the SSR to the LED and then is grounded at the PIC (for the Channel being Turned on)

I hope this helps and that I have not confused you more! :lol:

Chris

Chris

This is where I am confused. Would this type of SSR be considered a "source", because the PIC sources, and the signal coming into the SSR is a positive signal? And that is why it is "opposite" of the SSROz? Therefore, since the signal requirement of the SSROz is a ground, so it would be a "sink" SSR? The terms still seem contradictory, as you say Firegod refers to the Sinking SSR's as the pic sourcing, and the SSR sinking. By the "SSR sinking", do you mean that the ground is common on the SSR, which is what is meant by "SSR sinks the current" above. To me, that would mean that Firegod uses "source SSR's", and the co-ops are "sink SSR's".

I have a pretty good grasp of signals, and went through all of this with my DIO boards - they are a source signal, and I had to put the signal through a buffer/inverter, to both increase the current capability, plus make it a sink signal for the coop SSR's. But, it seems like the terms are being used for both SSR's, if you read through the threads. I prefer using the signal, where it is switching the ground, to be called an "active low", because the other is confusing, even if only to me - the "source" SSR's, where they take an active high to fire, actually sinks the signal on board. Makes more sense to me, than the source SSR sinks the signal on board...is it just me???

Sinking Code is needed....the orginal FG system Sourced Current from the PIC to the SSR (all his SSRs had a common Ground).

Yes, the coop SSRs all have a common +5VDC sent to them...the "connection to ground" or SINKING THE CURRENT is what the PIC will do.

So, the PIC is in essence, inverting the signal, to an active low? That makes sense to me.

okay...with the SINKING CODE...the negative side of the LED must go the the PIC. The LED Cathode...short leg has to go the PIC.

The Long leg is the positive side and needs to go toward the connector. The current flows from the common +5VDC at the SSR to the LED and then is grounded at the PIC (for the Channel being Turned on)

Chris

yes, I think I have it now. I was just getting confused, as it seemed to me that sink and source were being used almost interchangeably. There isn't a schematic to be had, and that perhaps would have made it easier for me.

It's like the trick my dad pulled on my nephew, when he was just old enough to learn the difference between right and left hands...

Sister: "Bobby, show grampa that you know right from left!"

Grampa - "That's great, Bobby! Show me your LEFT hand!"

Bobby holds out his left hand...

Grampa hesitates a bit, with a serious frown on his face, and a questioning voice:

"Hmmmm....that's RIGHT....Now, show me your RIGHT hand, you know, that's the one that's LEFT!"

Poor kid went a month before he'd show right and left again....

Thanks, Chris, think I have it. I really like to understand everything I put together, not just "assemble" them. Still have to learn the PICs, but that's going to take me some time, and a future project...

R

This is correct:

Chris

Back