Version 2.5 seems to have vanished completely on the Vixen site.

Blackbeard

It's been a while since I played with all of this stuff, so I started looking around again for files to move to a new computer. The forums have tons of links to Vixen 2.5.0.7 - 2.5.0.9 (Ernie mentioned this once, but I never found it anywhere). All the links give 404s and the Vixen site only lists 2.1 versions for download.

As I recall, there was a special hiding place for 2.5 versions on the Vixen site. I'm not sure I'd like to test version 3. I liked 2.5 because of the copy abilities it had over 2.1. Now I see there's non-KC development still going on for 2.5 (like that Elf preview, etc).

Is there any help out there?

Thanks

steve

Well I am trying to upload the 2 versions and the upload keeps failing. The zip files are on 2.2 meg.

Thanks for the offer, teberle. I have the files on an old machine. I can probably copy from there. Does it matter where I put these on a Win 7 64 bit machine? What about plugins? Weren't there version-specific plugins for 2.5.0.8?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The Vixen 2.x series can just be unzipped and used.

What I did was put them in c:\Libraries\Documents\Vixen because on Win7 that's the default storage location for the Vixen datafiles. This allows me to copy everything relating to Vixen (program, data files, configuration files, scheduler, etc) from my main desktop to my "Vixen PC" which is a headless computer in the basement also running Win7. I made a share on the Vixen PC so I could drag-and-drop.

Was much easier than copying to a USB stick and going down two flights of stairs to load it, then come back up two flights of stairs to preview the show/sequence changes on my webcams.

Thanks for putting them there.

As far as data files go must people don't know this, but you can create a file named redirect.data. When you do this you can copy all of the data files into a Data directory located in your vixen application directory.

Thanks for putting them there.

As far as data files go must people don't know this, but you can create a file named redirect.data. When you do this you can copy all of the data files into a Data directory located in your vixen application directory.

Here are the exact steps which are located in the Release Notes.txt file.

* Better implemented the ability to run from removable media, such as a flash drive. By having a file named "redirect.data" (yeah, I know, send complaints to the complaint department) in the application's directory, it will assume the data to be under a "Data" directory in the application's directory. Everything that is currently located under My Documents/Vixen would then be assumed to be in <Your Vixen Directory>/Data.

In other words, if you want to run Vixen entirely from a flash drive (the host PC must have the framework installed):

1. Create a file named "redirect.data" in the same directory as Vixen.exe (on your flash drive, I'm assuming). It doesn't matter what's in it, it just matters that the file exists, so an empty text file will do.

2. Create a directory named "Data" in that same directory.

3. Go to My Documents\Vixen and copy everything from there to the newly-created Data directory within your Vixen directory.

You should end up with having all of your data and the application's binaries on your flash drive. Now if you run Vixen, it should look in the Data directory you created.

If you ever want to go back to using the data contained under My Documents, just delete the "redirect.data" file.

Lol - I don't want to compare V3 with Windows 8, but V2.x seems to be like XP.....great piece of Software that just can't be killed :wow:

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I have to reload my dad's computer and I don't have a copy of the software.

Anybody have a copy available?

Thanks

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this link. I've been using 2.508 flawlessly for three years, and this year the day I was going start my show *something* happened and the only backup I didn't have was 2.508. I ended up recreating the wheel using 2.1. It works, but not the way I had it. Now I can restore my system properly. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Back