Vixen 3 & PX1 addressing problem

IdunBenhad

Hi:
So, I have been struggling to learn V3 and use it with a PX1, and I can get it work fine with 40 LED modules. The computer is running XP/SP3, 2.1 ghz Pentium 4 and 2 gb memory. Runs OK, but does not handle both Preview and output to comm ports simultaneously very good.

Here is my problem:

The pixels are WS2811 strings, with 20 RGB modules in each string. Running them with both strings connected together and controlled by a PX1, I can control each module OK. Injecting power at the far end of the string helps the color response, especially when they are all on in White. Because of the need for power injection at the end of the strings, this is why I want to run 2 PX1 controllers. By feeding the two strings from the center I won't have to run long power lines.

The PX1 is set as follows: Baud Rate 115k: Group 2, Pixel Count 20. Each 2 modules are treated as 1, so there is 10 pixels per string. I light each 2 modules for more light output, as these will be used in luminaries on the roof.

I want to feed the two strings separately with 2 PX1 controllers, one controller being daisy-chained to the other, so that it appears to V3/Renard as 60 channels. 20 modules, 3 channels each (RGB). I can get the first string, being fed from the comm port to respond at their addresses OK. The second string, which should start at address 31 never responds, although it will work alone, responding to addresses 31 thru 40 OK.

I have programmed the 2nd PX1 to start at address 31, but it does not see this when daisy-chained to the first PX1.

I think I can see the problem, which is the second string in the line doesn't know it should start at channel 31, even though the PX1 is programmed to start there.

Anyone have any ideas?

Are the px1 units daisy chained on the same Renard bus?
Are you using one controller or two in vixen?

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are daisy chaining the PX1s, then the second unit should be set to start address 1 like regular regard controllers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

Hi:
Thanks for the replies.

The PX1s are daisy-chained from one Renard controller. I will try resetting the second one in line to the addressing suggested by jklingert.

Hi:
I programmed each PX1 with identical addressing, connected the 2nd one between the two strings of modules and unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

I can see that the 2nd PX1 is receiving data, but the addressing is wrong. Each PX1 works by itself as it should.

Thor a test you can try programming the first one with a start address to use the range of the 2nd unit. This will tell you if you've got a problem in your vixen config, or if its something in the hardware setup. If you can validate that one px1 can receive all of the data for both address ranges, you can rule out the vixen setup and start investigating hardware.

Back