Vixen 3 Question

Amigorick

Supporting Member
I just started playing with Vixen 3 and it looks great !! I was experimenting with Arches and
using the preset for chase. I got it to work and it wasn't too difficult. My Arches are two-color
with 8 Red and 8 White. Can I use the preset to create a chase that will allow, for example, all of
the white channels to be on and have one Red channel chase back and forth on the arch. The
corresponding white channel would need to turn off while the Red channel was on.

Welcome to the dark side. Or is the 'light' side. Anyhow. Most of your request is really easy. First the setup: create an element for each segment of your arch. Give those elements the color handling property and configure it to use multiple independent colors. Set the colors to be whatever color strings you have on there.
Then group all of the segments into a group
If you have multiple arches, repeat for each arch. And then take all of the arch groups and put them into one big group called arches (that will let you do cool things with all of them at once)
Now that you're set up you can fire up the sequencer and start adding effects. First drop a set level on the group and make it white. Then put a chase right on top of that set level. Set the color of the chase to red.
The only thing that's not gonna happen is the white turning off when the red is on. I don't believe there's a good way to do that currently. There is a planned feature enhancement that should make this possible in the future. When this becomes a reality, you can lose the white set level and do it all in the chase effect.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the dark side. Or is the 'light' side. Anyhow. Most of your request is really easy. First the setup: create an element for each segment of your arch. Give those elements the color handling property and configure it to use multiple independent colors. Set the colors to be whatever color strings you have on there.
Then group all of the segments into a group
If you have multiple arches, repeat for each arch. And then take all of the arch groups and put them into one big group called arches (that will let you do cool things with all of them at once)
Now that you're set up you can fire up the sequencer and start adding effects. First drop a set level on the group and make it white. Then put a chase right on top of that set level. Set the color of the chase to red.
The only thing that's not gonna happen is the white turning off when the red is on. I don't believe there's a good way to do that currently. There is a planned feature enhancement that should make this possible in the future. When this becomes a reality, you can lose the white set level and do it all in the chase effect.

--Jon Chuchla--

The way you have this setup how does vixen know which elements are the red strings and which elements are the white strings.
I have five channel arches
Five white and five red each arch
My elements are set up as white arch containing the five white elements and the i have another group for my red arch and its five elements.so to do as mentioned I would put a set level on me white arch group and then a chase on my red arch group.
If you put all the white and red elements in the same group how does vixen know whats red or white without first pre defining the red which in my experience will turn the entire group red!

In the display setup you tell vixen about your elements. You say that your element consists of red and white and nothing else.
Then when you patch it, you will patch the one element to the two controller outputs. It automatically puts a filter in the middle to separate the color parts to the output channels.

--Jon Chuchla--

I'm glad I seen this. I had all of my arches x 2 colors individualized so I go do the effect the OP desired. I did not realize that v3 would seperate the colors for you if you defined the element as two colors and then patched the single element to the two outputs. Its very cool if I'm understanding it right. One thing though, I'm still trying to make sense in my head how v3 knows which output is red and which is white. You assign the element to the two color options but how does it filter the color to the right output and eventually to the right set of lights? Do you have to specify when patching or something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Yes exactly. When you specify the colors in the color handling a color breakdown filter gets added to the element. Take a look in the graphical view. You'll see that this filter has one input connected to the element and multiple outputs. One for each color. The colors are in the order you defined them.
From this point you can patch automatically using the wizard. If you use the wizard the actual controller outputs need to be in the same order of the outputs of all the color filters. If you need them in some other order you'll need to patch manually. You do this by right click dragging lines from the filter outputs to the controller channels.

--Jon Chuchla--

I'm glad I seen this. I had all of my arches x 2 colors individualized so I go do the effect the OP desired. I did not realize that v3 would seperate the colors for you if you defined the element as two colors and then patched the single element to the two outputs. Its very cool if I'm understanding it right. One thing though, I'm still trying to make sense in my head how v3 knows which output is red and which is white. You assign the element to the two color options but how does it filter the color to the right output and eventually to the right set of lights? Do you have to specify when patching or something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Same way I had mine. Be aware though changing them now will cause you to have to re assign your arches in the display and it causes you to loose ALL of your arch effects in your sequences. I changed mine around last night and yeah you loose all your arch work.

Same way I had mine. Be aware though changing them now will cause you to have to re assign your arches in the display and it causes you to loose ALL of your arch effects in your sequences. I changed mine around last night and yeah you loose all your arch work.

To avoid losing your effects add a new set of elements and keep the old ones in place temporarily. When doing this, create the new elements, and give them color properties, but don't complete the patching yet.
By doing this, you'll have two sets of elements in your config, and you can simply drag the effects from the original elements to the new ones. They should update appropriately as you move them. Keep in mind that you can stack effects on top of each other, so what you originally did with 2 elements, can be just stacked (if appropriate) onto the new single element. after migrating the effects to the new elements (in all of your sequences) you can delete the original elements and finish the patching on the new ones.

You will need to reassign, or just recreate (probably faster) anything in the preview that you've deleted/added.

To avoid losing your effects add a new set of elements and keep the old ones in place temporarily. When doing this, create the new elements, and give them color properties, but don't complete the patching yet.
By doing this, you'll have two sets of elements in your config, and you can simply drag the effects from the original elements to the new ones. They should update appropriately as you move them. Keep in mind that you can stack effects on top of each other, so what you originally did with 2 elements, can be just stacked (if appropriate) onto the new single element. after migrating the effects to the new elements (in all of your sequences) you can delete the original elements and finish the patching on the new ones.

You will need to reassign, or just recreate (probably faster) anything in the preview that you've deleted/added.

Good idea! To late for me but will save others for sure. I was lucky as half my sequences were converted from 2.1, so after re converting I have most of everything back. Everything I lost was on sequences for this year that were still not complete anyways and I already got them redone yesterday so I'm back on track.

Back