Vixen dies in Windows XP SP3 .NET3.5

tfmacz

I am trying to get vixen running on a laptop for this years display.

The computer is always updated by Microsoft. Windowa XP SP3 with .Net 3.5.

I am trying to use a ENTEC OpenDMX with Robert Martins DMX Grinch dimmer.

So, I get the "Vixen.exe did something bad and need to be shut down."

It seems to be related to DMX but I am not sure where to look. What info do I need to provide to help you fix this????

Thanks.
Ted

Many of my DMX woes have been cured with a fresh copy of Vixen. Download and don't do the updates.

Whether it works at that point or not, then go ahead and get the updates.

\dmc

PS: RJ has had mixed results with the Enttec Open he built, which is why he designed an entirely new DMX dongle; you can learn more at http://www.diylightanimation.com/

A while back , I did the XP 3 update and had MAJOR problems . Once I got rid of the WIN updates , I was fine as wine ....
I don't run DMX , but DID have the same type problems , and mine was associated with the WIN 3 update , not Vixen .

OK, Thanks for the help.
This is what I have discovered. I have it working by the way.
It appears to have nothing to do with the XP SP3 .NET3.5 update.
I am currently running Vixen 2.0 beta 4 on both XP SP2 and XP SP3 computers.
In beta 4 the the plugin is called DMX512 and it seems to work perfectly with the OpenDMX dongle.

I installed a fresh copy of Vixen 2.0 beta 4.
said No to the updates and created a test dmx sequence and run it. It is well behaved and shuts down properly.

I tried a fresh copy of Vixen 2.0 Release, No to the updates, created a test dmx sequence, run it and Vixen dies. Locks up won't do anything. Windows has to "Force Kill" it.

So at least I have something to work with.

Thanks again...
Now just waiting for the fix....

I installed a fresh copy of Vixen 2.0 beta 4.
said No to the updates and created a test dmx sequence and run it. It is well behaved and shuts down properly.

I tried a fresh copy of Vixen 2.0 Release, No to the updates, created a test dmx sequence, run it and Vixen dies. Locks up won't do anything. Windows has to "Force Kill" it.

How interesting.

I'd be curious for you to try building a small program of sequences -- only need two -- on the 2.0, beta 4, version and see if the Com4 port locks as the first sequence ends.

Thanks.

\dmc

Interesting, Does the FTDI usb serial chip always tag COM4 or does the DMX512 plug-in search for the FTDI chip???? It is COM4 on my machine.

Now for your requested test.
I created a 2 sequence program. Wiz and Sarajevo with music.
Set a schedule to play the program and repeat then restarted the timers.
Program is currently playing. Been through the loop a couple times. No Problems.

Again, I am running beta 4.

Is there a way to force Vixen to not search for updates?

Ted

Back