Wanted: cheap pixel controller for bench testing

chevell2

Looking for a cheap pixel controller for use in testing props and building new ones. I've been using an espixelstick v2, but apparently it has died. Won't connect to Wi-Fi and won't accept new programming.

If anyone has a cheap controller they don't want to pack away for another season, let me know what you have and how much for it.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Does your v2 power up ?

Can you elaborate on what you have tried to get it resolved ?

Is the Esp module removable ?

Does your v2 power up ?

Can you elaborate on what you have tried to get it resolved ?

Is the Esp module removable ?
How do you tell if it powers up? The input power shows up on the pixel output. Other than that, there's no lights or other signs of it being awake.

The only removable piece is the wifi antenna.

Last edited:
I think the simplest route is to use an ESPixelStick with whatever connector(s) you need for the pixels in question. Or in my case, I also have a set of 3 wires with alligator clips on the ends also connected to the ESPixelStick's outputs for quick testing of bulk or individual nodes. It's also battery powered for uber portability indoors or out in the field.

I use a test sequence set up for just a single ESPixelStick with a single universe of channels (170 nodes). Together with the ESPixelStick "tester," it's a piece of cake to use and being wireless, I don't have to mess with cat5 wiring at all, either.

There are some cheap products on aliexpress which come with a ready to go controller - such as strip light and festoon lights for example. i have one for a set of festoon lights, it takes 5-12V in (maybe higher) so can be used to test 5V and 12V props with preset patterns. Not for sale though :)

Last edited:
I think the simplest route is to use an ESPixelStick with whatever connector(s) you need for the pixels in question. Or in my case, I also have a set of 3 wires with alligator clips on the ends also connected to the ESPixelStick's outputs for quick testing of bulk or individual nodes. It's also battery powered for uber portability indoors or out in the field.

I use a test sequence set up for just a single ESPixelStick with a single universe of channels (170 nodes). Together with the ESPixelStick "tester," it's a piece of cake to use and being wireless, I don't have to mess with cat5 wiring at all, either.
Sounds similar to the setup I was using. I had a few different connectors on the output and a computer power supply that gives me 5v or 12v depending on what I was testing. Looks like a new pixel stick is in my future.

I personally us a 4 Output Long Range Pixel Genius Receiver from Experiencelights (https://experiencelights.com/4-output-long-range-pixel-genius-receiver/). It has a build in test function that can be activated by depressing a button.

Although it is more expensive than a "simple" tester, it provides a great deal of flexibility. For testing I will generally keep a JST and an Xconnector attached so I can easily swap betwen types. I also keep it attached to the bench power supply so I can switch between 5VDC pixel strings and my 12VDC floolds/Strips. I also don't hve to worry about loosing a remote.

-Tony

Last edited:
Back