Websites for dummies

FIRECOP252

Hello all you DIYCers

Just wanted to drop a line here and say I have been reading the threads coming about for building your own website and I think it is great. I decided I wanted one too but due to my lack of knowledge about computers I found it extremely difficult to understand it. I was putting this thread out there for the folks like me who want to have a website for their display or charity but don't know much about this aspect of the computer world. To put this in short terms I did some looking around and found Weebly Website Builder when I bought my hosting site. This website builder is extremely easy to use if you are not familiar with a lot of the terminology of computers but are into this hobby and want a website. Like I said before I love this hobby and I know there are others out there that do also and would like a website so I wanted to put this out there. By the way, and I'm sure there are others, but I used JustHost.com for my hosting site and it was under $3.75 a month and you get free domian registration to get you started. I was able to save the 10 bucks to register my first website so that kind of lowers the price also.

Anyways I hope this might help the folks like me who enjoy the hobby but don't know computers that well. Good Luck to all and hope to see some more websites.

Most hosting providers typically offer a plug-in that will install CMS (Content Management System), Blogs, Forums, Portals, etc. In C-Panel for example it's called QuickInstall. You might want to check there. You basically just pick one of the available options and it'll walk you through the setup.

If you're not familiar with the various offerings a quick search on Google or Bing and you should find example sites.

My host (webhostingpad) has Softaculous in the cPanel which seemingly does all the same stuff QuickInstall does. There are literally thousands of different ways to make a website (different hosts, domain registrars. etc.) , but my advice is to find something that works and if your satisfied stick with it. As for CMS I prefer Wordpress it is super easy to use, has tons of free themes and plugins which allow you to do just about anything you could ever want. Joomla works too, and may in some cases be more powerful, however I found there is more of a learning curve.

I dont disagree with you guys on some of this but I for one tried wordpress and had some issues understanding it. I truly am a dummie when it comes to computers. This is why I put this up there. No intention to push one hosting place or website builder just found that for the person who dont know much but wants a website this might be an option for them.

Most hosting providers typically offer a plug-in that will install CMS (Content Management System), Blogs, Forums, Portals, etc. In C-Panel for example it's called QuickInstall. You might want to check there. You basically just pick one of the available options and it'll walk you through the setup.

case in point not really sure what most of that means :biggrin: anyways thanks always for all the info on here from you folks

For those of you who are technology challenged you may just want to stick with a Facebook Page. You can post all of your pictures and videos and have people link to it. Not to mention when you make updates everyone automatically sees them. Juggling a Facebook Page and website is double the work.

Lance,
If I may suggest the host we use .. weebly.com ...
Weebly is literally a drag and drop CMS (content management) system.
The free version is very robust and support is pretty good... plus you dont have the hosts advertising all over the place...

Drop me your email and I'll send you a reference from weebly.. You can go on your own to weebly.com but it makes them happy when users refer.

The nice thing is you can still link vids to Vimeo, create bolg and as your web skills develop (if you choose) you can insert custome HTML code.

Our site is on weebly and its worked out very well .. (and I do have a certain amount of web skills .. been a code slinger and now a net admin)

http://moodychristmas.weebly.com

Merry Christmas,
Bob

Back