What is your recent favorite mistake ?

angus40

Supporting Member
In creating 3D parts you are bound to have issues /mistakes .

For me this come to be an excellent learning experience of late . I have designed some universal pipe
fittings that adapt to a currently built structure and alleviate the guesswork in angle calculation .

During this process mistakes/misprints and everything else one can imagine has transpired.
From filament gumming up the extruder drive gear to the extruder hose popping right off
and prints that look harrier than a ape .

Well almost all issues i have dealt with and just had a good chuckle ,but the harryness of 1 part was my favorite mistake .
This forced me to find out why .

The learning began and from what I can tell in a word is --- manifold ( poor mesh on user/creators part).

So ,to the reason I created this post .

Within the Slicer i can see these harry beasts as faint blue lines that I had never noticed before or gave them notice .
As I sure you know , this is geometry issues , holes in the mesh etc .

My modeling skills are forced to be improved by this learning excursion !

Always room for improvement .

Look forward to hearing your favorite mistake experiences.

Out of curiosity, what tool are you using to create your models and what did you do "wrong" to create this "harryness" of which you speak? (I don't want to make the same mistake(s)!)

I don't know if this is limited to just 3d mistakes, but my wife made the mistake of mixing themes. We are the Minion house. She bought Harry Potter. Now I have to have a Harry Potter section and make those two coexist. I dug up an old soundtrack of minions humming the Harry Potter theme. The minions now have a new villain they follow, and that's Voldemort.

Oh, and to answer the question, "What is your recent favorite mistake?":

I guess it's not so much of a mistake as a "happy accident/unintended feature", but in one of my recent models that I posted (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?58550-North-Pole-internal-spacers), I left a gap in the outer ring to allow for it to be placed in/removed from a pipe with wires running down one side of the inside of the pipe. But it feels like the gap also allows the part to compress ever so slightly when being inserted into the pipe, so it pushes against the inside of the pipe, allowing for a better "press fit" and giving a natural "grip" to keep it in place.

I don't know if this is limited to just 3d mistakes, but my wife made the mistake of mixing themes. We are the Minion house. She bought Harry Potter. Now I have to have a Harry Potter section and make those two coexist. I dug up an old soundtrack of minions humming the Harry Potter theme. The minions now have a new villain they follow, and that's Voldemort.

This is hilarious!

Out of curiosity, what tool are you using to create your models and what did you do "wrong" to create this "harryness" of which you speak? (I don't want to make the same mistake(s)!)

I use Cinema 4D ro create my parts .
The issue is created while connecting objects together with geometry that misaligns the mesh of the newly created model .
The mesh merge points and or splines will most often need attention to have a watertight completion.

The slicer can fix most model issues but not all and will end up creating some goofy paths which are the hairs I was referring .

I am thinking you could print a jumbo minion and attach Haggred's head to it to please the wife !!

Or a jumbo Minion fused to Aragog.

I had to google this as I am not familiar with Harry Potter cast of characters .
This Haggred was in the news recently about his passing, so it was what came to mind .

Aragog would do to I should think.

I use Cinema 4D ro create my parts .
The issue is created while connecting objects together with geometry that misaligns the mesh of the newly created model .
The mesh merge points and or splines will most often need attention to have a watertight completion.

The slicer can fix most model issues but not all and will end up creating some goofy paths which are the hairs I was referring .

:thup:

Back