What to do with net lights?

Hogfather

A friend gave me 12 sets of clear net lights. I'm looking to do something with them besides through them over my bushes. Seems kinda boring to me.

Are there any interesting DIY projects that I can do with net lights?

They make pretty good tree trunk wraps.

12 net lights... if they're 6'x4' you could make a fairly large carpet of them on the lawn and cover it with cotton batting to make it look like snow that's been lit from beneath. 12 nets would be 288 square feet,

Last edited:
I use them to wrap around trees.... much easier than wrapping with with single strings ;)

anything to fill....arch entrances, gazebos, lawns, garage doors, roof tops, tree wrapping, fence dressing, Extreme window lights, make your own tarp cover(a roof of net lights) the possibilities are limitless just be creative and let us know what you did so we can copy :)

They make pretty good tree trunk wraps.

12 net lights... if they're 6'x4' you could make a fairly large carpet of them on the lawn and cover it with cotton batting to make it look like snow that's been lit from beneath. 12 nets would be 288 square feet,

Of course, if you were up in Dirk's territory, you could mount them on 6-foot fenceposts without the batting and still get that "snow that's been lit from beneath" look!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:)

Stretch them out nice and neat over your entire roof. at least the side you can see. go GRIZWOLD ON EM!

if the roof dont face the road you can always dismantle part of them...

what i mean, is net lights just have like a plastic webbing that the string of lights is ran through, some of the webbing does not contain wire, you can cut it into sections and use it like ribbon for tree trunks.

the roof idea is my favorite though...

i have seen in one show that someone did net lights as a lightbar...

basically put them in sections (channels) across the yard in one line, and used it like an 8 channel bar that was horizontal... would make a good background

My wife bought 20 boxes of the 70ct Led Net lights the year before last and thought they were 70ct LED strings ($1.50 a box after Christmas) so I didn't want to throw them away. So I laid them out flat then rolled them up, put the plug end on a nail and pulled them down which made them about 3 ft long and narrow at the top and wider at the bottom which turned them in to a tear drop or large water drop looking thing. At the bottom I cable tied them so they wouldn't unravel and hung all of them in trees and used them in my show.

Last edited:
One year, I made a conduit frame over my driveway and covered it with netlights as a canopy. I have also used them as segments in a mega tree.

I use net lights as lawn cover and hook them to my singing elements- and they go off just like the outlines on the elements do. Or hook them.up to flasher/ mini trees as lawn cover.

However I don't think I would use them in this fashion if it snowed were I was either.

I love the roof net, like the griswolds. But I think my wife might kill me then...maybe if I can get enough of them at the after Christmas sales. I can zip tie about 30 sets together and put them on the roof for next year hooked to a controller to make them flash. My neighbors would love me then��

At some point I want to buy a lot of net lights and cover my roof and three sides of my house. Then run each net as its own channel.

I hung 24 nets on a vinyl fence (the nets were folded in half length-wise). It makes a nice piano effect, or VU meter, or nice sweeps.

Here's a Youtube video of one of our songs that uses it. Wizards of Winter uses pinao.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TbiL0zT6qc

And What Child is this makes good use of various sweeps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9qoafj_18

I'm not sure if 12 will give you good effect, but you never know.

Jimboha

What's the diamond shape rgb lights in the background??

There is a chain link fence on the left, that has white vinyl privacy slats. We made diamond shapes out of multi-color LED strings. There are 9 diamonds on the fence and they make for nice chase sequences. Is that what diamond shape you were referring to?

Inside each diamond is what we call an angel bell. Actually there is a Christmas bell with 3 bell shapes that can be animated to look like they are swinging. In one of the bell shapes (usually the left one), there is also a angle wing shape along with the top part of the bell. When the bell shape and angel shape are tuned on together, you can see that we have angels. There are 9 angles in descending sizes.

Jimboha

Last edited:
Back