When you want quick and dirty spooky eyes

ccrowder

Well since I did not have any clear filament to print some spooky eyes made some quick and dirty ones which thought I would post because.. why not..

Used clear florescent tube protector from home depot.. $4 for 4ft. Cut it with utility knife to about 5in long and then just cut some spooky eye patterns out of gaffers tape. Threw a rectangular pixel node inside and use a sheet of printer paper as a diffuser. Added some wire extensions (made chain of 3) and then 'sealed' the ends with tape mainly to keep the printer paper dry (node is water proof). Then just set them to different colors and blink patterns in xlights. Need to get a night-time pic to show. All said and done.. about 1 hour or so to throw them together.
jjcNTlhZ1vQkmBUhm8Niugy9esJ4zDXQwRX07qPLCCD5hmdPWHBiLowegkEeIHijBVaQwRcWroLdnEsNrXd5pjsWx7RZNl62tZrnI4T5k8waOKiicwdQbTyuJJCPNKlV96LkXE9CIbzAr4t5FRIqQlTq3RKhW1NKYNWfr3Q2MwirhRpbGIE7vo0NM26XqG-Ys-6mwKlk7CnZ5KrUKJeVO6RrX_-rhrQEILPPMqEouu4Zscpt62LEjnOwmf7oLgqhBw2sDc1tSOPsdXjVf8oG5BQf0WD4DAW1k41YkAWC_ZCjHUF9DbhRDs07TzEAsB9w13fV91SvWT6cWyQGCoPcICJ-HWeQTwV53OpDEphrli4v-QA2fc4DnmA70eS4kVUjtgrkbxM3vz1bmhA8NBz8c9SZrhsHDLohCNEgmfwojC3MaDg2cGSC_YZJpy9Gak3Fji7XqZUeZenyKRKWqkJig_pGFy2tSQ6EN-9G93OHmOoAS0p9i1Qik_h2CS4MasHlN4nndPNUGENj5kTg2KKwxvAJ1vh2y2DVt7HhTImjo0tWVwgJodaHkrdZuyTJxhkQ_jygYxMjXuNfaytUkQQwduyqR9_XRDheqyQOQHwloVM=w728-h970-no

Neat ! Did you free hand the eye cutouts? If you used a stencil, can you share it?

I look forward to seeing the night time pictures.

Eyes were laser cut =p Just put strip of gaffers tape on some plexi glass. But I did the drawings in illustrator.. give me a bit to make some pdfs of them and post them.

Here we go..
eyes-1.jpg

Attachments

• eyes-1.pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 48
  • eyes-2.pdf
    43 KB · Views: 19
  • eyes-3.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 17
  • eyes-4.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 15
Eyes were laser cut =p Just put strip of gaffers tape on some plexi glass. But I did the drawings in illustrator.. give me a bit to make some pdfs of them and post them.

I've been itching for a laser cutter. What machine you use?

I've been itching for a laser cutter. What machine you use?

Kinda lucky in this regard. It is a Epilog Zing 16 on 'loan' from work. We had two they had not used in years and boss said I could borrow one for stuff at home since I end up prototyping a lot of things for lab.

I want to make some spooky eyes and have ideas how to but then I realize I have to splice them...

The splicing is not that bad. I use the heat shrink solder tubes. I know some folks also like waterproof crimp connectors if they want a fast/easy splice.

Yeah, just got some to fool with. My gut is telling me the rectangles are too bright for this application and a single pixel might be better. I will have to test. I am thinking of using coro.

I admit the rectangles are pretty bright. I was thinking of turning down the brightness on those pixels to 25 or 50% in xlights.

Back