Which is better for AC superstrings? Xlights or Vixen?

eddylightsup

Supporting Member
Howdy folks, as the title states, I'm looking to see which sequence s/w is better for dealing with AC superstrings? My superstrings are 4 LED strings R-G-B-W.

I know many have switched to pixels, and I do have some, but I'm keeping the AC lights for most of my elements.

I'v used Xlights, and I've seen the videos from Keith, where he introduced and discussed them. But I'm not having great success in mapping the Color Blocks and then sequencing using the various effects. If I understood him correctly, you can map a (pixel) effect and it will activate the strings of the appropriate color. So, I don't need to use the AC toolbar.
I created a sequence, the preview seems to work, but when sent to the FPP, only one string of red lights up out of the 60+ strings.

Is Vixen (current versions 3.x +) better at dealing with the multi colored superstrings?

What are your thoughts?

I'd say Vixen, but I'm biased. In Vixen, AC lights are first class citizens just like pixels. You can use any effects you like on them.

I have no experience with vixen so can't compare, but I am satisfied with Xlights' handling of AC. Although AC is, admittedly, second-class to pixels. It is true, the AC toolbar is not required. I don't use it. I'm not overly happy with Xlights' modelling of floods and backlights, although I don't know if vixen is any better. My sequences are blended of both AC and pixels, which I am satisfied with. Pixels are my flute, clarinet, and violin section. AC's are my percussion section.

Jon,
I was expecting you and the other Vixen Gurus to speak up. Can you point me to any guides or tutorials for setting up the superstrings props/elements in Vixen?

So, this is what I have for physical layout --
4 window frames using Renard Plus 4-bangers, each with the RGBW superstrings. They are each in their own universe (1-4), and take channels 1-32. Then a Ren + 16 (univ 5), using 9 out of the 16 channels. This is the controller with the bad channel -- #8. So, I configured it this way -- (probably my mistake) 5,6,7,9 for the RGBW respectively. 10 is a single multi color string. Adn then the next controller SS24, daisy chained, with 5 elements in superstrings, and 2 single strings/elements. This one also has a skipped channel #16. Last is another Ren+ 16 with 3 superstrings, and 3 single strings/elements. (15 channels).
Then I have a 150 pixel star in universe 6.
But I'm running into an issue (likely) with the skipped channel on the main Ren controller. I have to rewire and reconfigure the channels tomorrow.

The 4 bangers are using the esp8266s, the 1st Ren is using the espixelstick, and the pixel star is using another esp8266 pixelstick.
If I run the test/diag mode from the espixelstick s/w, they all do their rainbow, chase routines.
But sending the seq file to FPP will only run the 4 windows, and channel 1 (red) from the first superstring element on the Ren16, and the pixel star.

I was just, after I posted the question, messing with Xlights, and I think I have it somewhat figured out, using the Channel blocks. I was able to create a quick sequence for the 4 windows and ran individual colors R-G-B-W to each prop.

And, I know you are speaking to Vixen, and though I've used xlights for the last couple of years, I am not married to it. At this point since I changed the entire physical props to use the superstrings, added 8 of them, I have to redo all my sequences as most of the props/elements don't match. So, if Vixen is better at handling the strings, then I might as well go that route.

Hopefully I was clear enough in my rambling above.

Thanks,
Eddy

Howdy folks, as the title states, I'm looking to see which sequence s/w is better for dealing with AC superstrings? My superstrings are 4 LED strings R-G-B-W.

Is Vixen (current versions 3.x +) better at dealing with the multi colored superstrings?

What are your thoughts?

I have run my custom window frames as RGBW super strings in Vixen for years without issues. The hardest part setting up Vixen is the channel mapping. But that is entirely because of how I built the frames. The RGB are DC and the W is AC. So during patching I patch the 3 DC channels to a DC controller, then the AC channel to an AC controller.

The finished product allows me to have a single element with four availible colors.

-Tony

In vixen, you set up each superstring as one element. when the color configuration comes up, you'll select the "multiple independent colors" option and then the RGBW color pattern. This will give you one element that supports the 4 colors, and will connect to four controller channels.

For what it's worth, in my show, all of my renards are on the same universe. I've got at least 10 ESPs connected to renards listening to that one universe. 4 of them are 32 channels (1-32, 33-64, etc...) the rest are 4 or less channels each. With WiFi, it's far more efficient to multicast one universe, than it is to send separate universes to each ESP.

In order to do your patching to deal with the dead channel, you'll need to manually patch the element to the controller channels. In display setup, switch the center pane to graphical view. Then click on the element on the left. That should show the element and its color breakdown filter in the graphical view. Then click on the controller on the right side. Now draw lines using the right mouse button to connect the breakdown filter's outputs to the appropriate controller channels.

I have been using XLights for years now with my mixed light show. My house outline and windows are all RGBW superstrings. I had imported a lot of my sequences into xLights from Vixen 2 so I have each channel setup as a model. I end up doing my new sequences a lot like when I was using V2 and mainly using ON/OFF/Dimming. There are probably better ways to sequence, but I know how to make this work the way I want. I end up doing a lot of copy/paste as I program.

Back