Whyis there no DC DMX or Renard controller with built in SSRs?

Helenaguy

I see this DMX controller for any where from $40 (before shipping from China) to $58 from various vendors

27-channel-Easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver.jpg

and I have to wonder why nobody has designed a DIY board to do this for less cost. I have 8 2 meter strips
that will be fairly close to each other and seems very costly to buy separate SSR kits plus RGB breakout boards.
Unless I'm missing an option, appears this ready made controller is less expensive than all the DIY alternatives
available right now.

Is there another option I am missing?

There is a 16 channel DC Ren Plus Controller under development at the other site. They may also do a 24 channel version of it.

There is a 16 channel DC Ren Plus Controller under development at the other site. They may also do a 24 channel version of it.

A link would be good. I don't think it is against any rules to post a link to DIY related boards if it helps us out.

I see this DMX controller for any where from $40 (before shipping from China) to $58 from various vendors

View attachment 18978

and I have to wonder why nobody has designed a DIY board to do this for less cost. I have 8 2 meter strips
that will be fairly close to each other and seems very costly to buy separate SSR kits plus RGB breakout boards.
Unless I'm missing an option, appears this ready made controller is less expensive than all the DIY alternatives
available right now.

I have 7 of the boards you posted. They are good boards. Also note there is a modification that can be made to increase current. It involves soldering bare wire to power and ground bus to increase current.

Here are the details. Look at post #48
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,741.45.html

Last edited:
I believe the boards you are referring to are still off board (separate) DC SSRs though, which seems to me is more costly than having everything on the same board like the one I posted or a Ren ss AC board.

Thanks dpitts!! I am going to watch the development of the board linked to earlier in the thread by plasmata. I had forgotten about that one and hopefully there would be some cost savings over an already built board.

View attachment 18978

available right now.

Is this for low amps(ie < 400 ma or so?). If so, and depending on how 'doityourself' you're willing to go, I may have something for you.

If you are lower than 400mA - the REN48LSD will do what you need. (I realize it's not quite the same as the controller with the built in MOSFETS, but it's an option to consider).

Check the WIKI page

and I have to wonder why nobody has designed a DIY board to do this for less cost. I have 8 2 meter strips ...

Partly because mass production can lower costs that we can't compete with. Here at DIYC we rely on coops to lower the cost to some degree, but don't get quantities in the 10's of thousands.
A DIYer may not have had your specific need and thus didn't design such a product.
For example, I have a specific 162 channel DC SSR for my needs which is currently not available. RPM developed a DMX DC SSR 16 channel board. His Mouser BOM was around the price you mentioned, plus the blank board cost. I bought 6 blank boards, when they were available, but for my project I would need 10+. I don't think he has restocked his products, so other alternatives will be needed. I still want a cheaper and more specific solution than using RPM boards: - may just have to design my own. :)

Back