Will this work to program PICS

If you are looking for experience with that particular device, none. If you are looking for some confidence that you are picking the right thing, you did good! It should work for both older and newer chips used in our hobby controllers including the ss24.

Thanks Mike, exactly what I needed to know.. lol
I wasn't sure if I had bought the correct item. It comes with no instructions, so I'm doing research now on how to use it, especially how to use the ZIF adapter...

Back of the ZIFF socket will give you the jumper setting for the different PICs mostly based on the # of pins. For a 16f688 (14Pin) you will see a line about 2/3 of the way down the ZIFF socket (line 20?) that is where you need to place the PIC, Pin1 (and 14) should be @ or just below that line.

You also need to have the Pickit3 software on your PC

Topcat,

If you don't have an answer by the end of the day, I will post a picture of what mine is set up as. In that ziff socket the PIC does not actually sit all the way to the top or bottom (like Ruppro said). I ended up marking pin #1 on mine with a sharpie so I know where they need to sit.

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks all, I've been reading and watching videos.. I have the PickIT 3 software on my computer but the PIC16F688 doesn't show up as a selection. I'll do more trials tonight when I get home. I'll check the ZIF socket circuit board for the location info, (i Didn't know about that) Also probably re-install the software.

ChiefWarrant: Any reference photos would be helpful, thanks. I'll post progress as it happens.. LOL
Thanks again to all!

I have the PickIT 3 software on my computer but the PIC16F688 doesn't show up as a selection.
Thanks again to all!

In my PicKit3 setup, there was no list entry for 16F688, I had to pick something else generic sounding and was able to cascade down from there... if memory serves. If I can find it I will post it.

In my PicKit3 setup, there was no list entry for 16F688, I had to pick something else generic sounding and was able to cascade down from there... if memory serves. If I can find it I will post it.

Interesting.. I might have to go that route..

Okay, I found my problem. with the Pickit 3 software you have to go to Programmer and select "Manual Device Select", then you can select 16F688 from the drop down for your device. (this step is missing from all instructions or videos I've seen) Then find the correct position for the PIC in the ZIF block and the correct jumper placement (from the bottom of the circuit board) after that it was a breeze and worked perfectly.

Yes, Thanks Tony. The position on my board was the same, the jumpers were a different layout. Thanks for the visual!

Mark

Okay, I found my problem. with the Pickit 3 software you have to go to Programmer and select "Manual Device Select", then you can select 16F688 from the drop down for your device. (this step is missing from all instructions or videos I've seen) Then find the correct position for the PIC in the ZIF block and the correct jumper placement (from the bottom of the circuit board) after that it was a breeze and worked perfectly.

I never have to select the "device", I just put the PIC in the ZIFF socket, connect the PICKIT3 and connect the USB, open the software and it tells me I have a 16F688 or 16F1825

I never have to select the "device", I just put the PIC in the ZIFF socket, connect the PICKIT3 and connect the USB, open the software and it tells me I have a 16F688 or 16F1825

Odd, that's what I kept expecting.. but nooooooooooooo... not on mine... LOL, oh and I probably wasn't sticking my tongue out right.. LOL

Okay, I found my problem. with the Pickit 3 software you have to go to Programmer and select "Manual Device Select", then you can select 16F688 from the drop down for your device.
Just piling on...
I finally got around to checking my configuration. You did what I did. I just didn't remember the details.

Back