Wood for cut outs

gopackgo1978

Can anyone give me some advice on what the best wood to use for cut outs is? I made some last year and I used a 4x8 sheet of MDO that had a paper on one side. It worked great but very expensive. Any feedback is appreciated!

You can use almost anything if you get a good seal on it. No matter how well you seal it though, eventually water will get in. A water resistant substrate such as MDO or Treated Plyood is best. Personally, I don' think the saving is worth it.

Since they only sit outside for a couple a short time, you could look at masonite/hardboard. When I had a sign shop, I used it for Temporary signage. I would seal it with a good primer and use a good quality exterior paint on them. Make sure to cover the edges. If possible, also round the edges over. I would also use a little foam roller to reseal the edges before everyseason. If you keep the edges sealed, you should get many seasons out of them.

finally something I know about. I would use siding. There is some that comes in 4x8 sheets that is smooth on the face side and looks like plywood on the back. the front side will be primed already usually in a blueish color. It will stand up outside as it is or you can paint it and it will last even longer. I use the product at work daily. Also have some on a shed I built 5 years ago without painting still looks like the day I put it up. I was going to try my own cut outs too and it is what I will be using. It will either be called "smart side" or "pro trim" to the best of my knowledge. Should be able to find it at Lowes I would imagine or Forest Building supplies.

I personally have gone to both extremes: From B/C X (VERY expensive) to OSB (Oriented Strand Board - very CHEAP).

Personal experience: Go with the OSB. I'm not sure what a sheet of 1/2" B/C is going for now, but when I was doing it in 2008, B/C was $18/sheet and OSB was $5.50.

Like KY said, prime EVERYTHING including the edges. My OSB cut-outs will be in their 4th season this year, and they look every bit as good as the expensive 1/2" B/CX.

Here's an article I wrote about cutouts -> http://www.landolights.com/main/content/view/62/39/

Like KY said, prime EVERYTHING including the edges. My OSB cut-outs will be in their 4th season this year, and they look every bit as good as the expensive 1/2" B/CX.

Plywood edges up here gets 3 or more coats because in the winter, snow might melt a bit in the sun on a warm day (0-30F) and seep into the wood. Then at night when it refreezes and expands, it starts breaking up the wood laminations, the seal coating, and the process continues the next day. If you're not careful with sealing the edges, you'll be making all-new stuff the next year.

BTW, the same thing happens to our roads -- the tar cracks a bit, water seeps in, freezes, breaks up the tar (or cement) and these eventually develop into world-class "POT HOLES!!!" which can wreck the suspension on your car if you hit them at speed...

C'mon up and visit Minnesnowda, anytime, folks! You'll LOVE it here! :shock:

I live in Florida and have used OSB every year for the past four years. No problems at all, but no extreem cold. I make different themes every year and don't really use them over again so the OSB is the best choice for me. At 1/3 the price it's a no-brainer. Also note, it's better to prime the boards first before you draw on them. There are two sides, one is smoother that the other. It's better to draw on the smooth side. I like to draw my characters first, paint them with thick black borders, cut them out and repaint the boarders. The OSB will sometimes chip when you cut it hence the thick borders. You shouldn't get this with the plywood. I've had last years "Peanuts" cutouts out all year in the back yard to see how they hold up. Not bad at all.

Personally I use Luan 1/4" plywood, the problem with 1/2" plywood is that it will split apart like stated above. Luan plywood is considered a hardwood and does not delaminate. I use outdoor latex paint from lowes or home depot, works great. 4-5 years later they look like the day I made them, as long as you brace them correctly to prevent warping. I have a motorized ice skating snoopy made out of Luan plywood that was made in 1983, it has gone out every year since it was made. It was painted on both sides with oil base paint, and last year finally started showing some aging, pretty sure that shows the durability of this type of plywood, 27 years and I'm finally replacing it

I would say plywood myself because it a fairly cheap material. My only piece of advice is to use a wood sealing primer (white) and paint every surface (sides included). Then paint your actual artwork over the primed surface.

Back