xLights sequential string patching question

jalder

Hi all, I'm trying to switch from Vixen 3 to xLights, but I'm getting stuck on how it patches models to the controller. I have a couple bushes that use two strings of 100 pixels, but without power injection. This is physically two strings, where the second just starts about were the first left off, and they run on different outputs on the controller. I can't seem to figure out how to get xLights to treat it in the sequencing that it should act like one long string of 200, but then patch it to two separate outputs on the controller. Likewise with smaller bushes that are inline of 100+50, again using multiple outputs without power injection. The uneven length seems to confuse it further because it isn't as simple as saying 2 strands and the strands have X pixels each. I also have a larger one that is 100+100+100. These are not spiral tree models where each strand starts at the bottom and helix upwards. They are strands that are geographically end-to-end, but not electronically on the same run.

There has to be way in to do this in xLights, but it isn't obvious. Patching in Vixen may be less pretty and more complicated, but this scenario is pretty easy.

Thanks

Form a layout group.of.the two strings, and place them next to each other in the layout. Place all your effects on the layout group of 200 pixels--not directly onto either string. Then all those effects will treat both strings as one thing. In the Controllers tab, open up the Visualizer and drag each individual string onto its respective port. Xlights will intelligently parse out the effects placed onto your layout group, and dole those out to the correct strings/ports for you.

This is also a good use of "shadow models". Simple in concept but easiest if you see the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKSyxB14-SE

The example of the bush, would be that you model it as one group of 200. Then you create two smaller models of 100 each. Use the big model to sequence and use the two smaller ones to do the controller stuff.

I live and die by shadow models in DMX-land. And to connect my megatree topper to one of the strands running up. My only issue for this is, shadow models are basically breaking a rule: models overlapping channels. A guy newer at Xlights, I think should treat that as an error. Intentionally overlapping channels is, by definition, a shadow model.

Thanks all, shadow models seem to be the way to go. I can shadow model 3x strands of 100 into a 300 node prop/model. However, I am having some trouble with the start channels, which is likely because of how my FPP is setup. Shadow models seem to want to have consecutive channels to work correctly. Unfortunately, my FPP setup is set to map fixed 510 channel universes. For example:

Universe 1: start 1, end 510
Universe 2: start 511, end 1020
Universe 3: start 1021, end 1530

So my shadow model tries to run channel 1 -> 600 sequentially, when it really should be [1->300, 1021-> 1321, 1531->1831]. Alas, it doesn't like the gaps. Since I am mainly running Vixen3, I can't just change my FPP controller setup to accommodate (it would break my existing show). Is there any way to use shadow models with nonconsecutive channels?

The other hack would be make three tree spiral models, stack them in the layout tool, then put them in a group and pray xLights distributes the animation over the group reasonably well. Shadow models seem to be a hack to deal with complex model patching, but this would be even more hacky.

Don't use Vixen, and use layout groups in Xlights instead of shadow models, and you'd probably already be done. That's my take.

Thanks all, I got it working this morning. Hopefully by next year I can ditch Vixen and go 100% xLights. I'm in the transition period now and can't port all my sequences fast enough this season. I ended up not using shadow models and just vertically stacking and grouping spiral tree models (3x for a tree and 2x for bushes). Seems to work fine! Since I still have Vixen in the mix, I had to set the all the prop start channels manually using the absolute FPP start channels. Chained models are easy. A little tedious overall, but it works well without totally nuking my start channel -> universe mapping. When I can ditch Vixen fully, I can let xLights remap my start channels.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

Back