Create custom effect values .

angus40

Supporting Member
I'm curious if you can sequence individual R,g,b channels within Vixen and if so,
can you create level or ramp effects with specific values ?

As an example , to control a servo for a certain prop movement I would require 5 custom effects.

50% level
50% - 0 ramp down
100% - 50% ramp down
0 - 50% ramp up
50% - 100 % ramp up

possible ?

Your prop is run from ws2811 or something else?

Not everything is a pixel in Vixen so create a 3 channel prop and you would have 3 separate channels to call whatever you want (R,G B).

The ramps would be dependent on timing. If you ramped down in 50 frames, it would work quite smoothly but if you ramp down in 5 frames, it would move 10% at a time. Ramping up or down is a standard effect in Vixen.

Maybe this page will help: https://www.vixenlights.com/docs/concepts/curves/

I'm not following the connection between RGB and servos. Elements (nodes) you add in Vixen can be single colour (1 channel), RGB (3 colour) or RGBW (4 colour). For your use case you probably want to use 4 x single channel nodes. Each channel outputs data between 0->255 (one byte). Ramps in vixen are defined as % intensity over time. S0 50% is 128 for example.

You can save your curve effects in a library that can be reused / maintained centrally. The duration of the curve relates to the effect you apply it to. You will likely want to use the 'pulse' effect for servo movement, the curve will scale to however long your effect is.

The 'custom value' effect doesn't allow for changes in value over time (I think)

Your prop is run from ws2811 or something else?

Not everything is a pixel in Vixen so create a 3 channel prop and you would have 3 separate channels to call whatever you want (R,G B).

The ramps would be dependent on timing. If you ramped down in 50 frames, it would work quite smoothly but if you ramp down in 5 frames, it would move 10% at a time. Ramping up or down is a standard effect in Vixen.

Maybe this page will help: https://www.vixenlights.com/docs/concepts/curves/

Thank you Mike . This is for a Esp32 that is receiving e131 and driving the servos as ws28xx /rgb .
Sequence effects/values and length of the effects are crucial for smooth operation ,especially with the cheaper models .

Having 0 experience in how Vixen works , the info you have provide should be most beneficial .

I'm not following the connection between RGB and servos. Elements (nodes) you add in Vixen can be single colour (1 channel), RGB (3 colour) or RGBW (4 colour). For your use case you probably want to use 4 x single channel nodes. Each channel outputs data between 0->255 (one byte). Ramps in vixen are defined as % intensity over time. S0 50% is 128 for example.

You can save your curve effects in a library that can be reused / maintained centrally. The duration of the curve relates to the effect you apply it to. You will likely want to use the 'pulse' effect for servo movement, the curve will scale to however long your effect is.

The 'custom value' effect doesn't allow for changes in value over time (I think)

Thanks for the info.

Back