Multiple video streams synced with Falcon Pi Player

dpitts

Here is a demo from Pat Delaney that shows 4 video streams 1 master and 3 remotes synced with Falcon Pi Player (FPP). Each PI has ability to run lighting (sequence) data as well as video. This solution is great for whole house projection or multiple location projection in Christmas or Halloween shows. All that is needed is to load the video files on each FPP instance with webpage, Windows explorer or FTP protocol. Create a playlist and upload to each PI and play the list on master. The remotes will sync to master. Setting master and remote setting is a snap with webpage interface embedded into each PI.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/foimz87q76irlc4/20140928_214549%5B1%5D.mp4?dl=0

This may be the most cost effective way to synchronize video in the yard. The same principle can be used to synchronize the sequence data allowing user to scale to large channel counts without the need to distribute thousands of channel information over wired or wireless network. The sync signal between the FPP's is minimal and can be transferred over a simple wireless USB interface ($10.00 or less) in each Falcon Player.

Chris Pinkham (Captain Murdoch) has really done a great job on the implementation.

Thanks Chris.

Last edited:
Dave,

That's great! Will it be possible to run audio from a remote unit at any point. My ideal plan is to have a remote unit at my projector, master in my office, and a remote unit attached to my EDM radio in the closet near my attic on the second floor. All units will be hard wired to a gigabit network.

Here is a demo from Pat Delaney that shows 4 video streams 1 master and 3 remotes synced with Falcon Pi Player (FPP). Each PI has ability to run lighting (sequence) data as well as video. This solution is great for whole house projection or multiple location projection in Christmas or Halloween shows. All that is needed is to load the video files on each FPP instance with webpage, Windows explorer or FTP protocol. Create a playlist and upload to each PI and play the list on master. The remotes will sync to master. Setting master and remote setting is a snap with webpage interface embedded into each PI.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/foimz87q76irlc4/20140928_214549%5B1%5D.mp4?dl=0

This may be the most cost effective way to synchronize video in the yard. The same principle can be used to synchronize the sequence data allowing user to scale to large channel counts without the need to distribute thousands of channel information over wired or wireless network. The sync signal between the FPP's is minimal and can be transferred over a simple wireless USB interface ($10.00 or less) in each Falcon Player.

Chris Pinkham (Captain Murdoch) has really done a great job on the implementation.

Thanks Chris.

I have made a copy of pat's video and put it on my server. http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/videos/patdelaney_fpps.mp4

Here is a picture showing the two modelB's and two model B+'s and how it was connected

Each fpp can drive 64K channels of lights so these 4 fpp's could be driving 256K channels along with the 4 video streams.

patdelaney1.png

Dave,

That's great! Will it be possible to run audio from a remote unit at any point. My ideal plan is to have a remote unit at my projector, master in my office, and a remote unit attached to my EDM radio in the closet near my attic on the second floor. All units will be hard wired to a gigabit network.

Technically you can run audio on a Remote Pi using the code that is being beta tested right now if there is audio in the video file that is playing. The major issue with this is that in order to keep the video in sync, we have to regulate the playback speed on the Remote Pi's. This regulation affects the audio in addition to the video, so the audio will speed up slightly or slow down slightly as we bring the Remote in sync with the Master. omxplayer does not do any pitch adjustment on the audio when running at speeds other than 1.0x, so the audio pitch will change when the speed is temporarily adjusted to sync. How far it will change is dependent on how far the Remote is out of sync.

It is on our TODO list for 2015 to allow playback of non-synchronized video and audio on remote Pi units. These will be part of some more extensive scheduler and player changes.

It is on our TODO list for 2015 to allow playback of non-synchronized video and audio on remote units

Was this feature ever implemented. I’m looking to have my remote fpp’s to start playing non- synchronized videos with audio when my Master sequence starts. I’m not worried about them staying in synch.

Could you point me in the right direction. I have my pi in slave/remote mode but I do not hear any audio from the pi's audio out. I have configured the audio to play from here under FPP settings but no dice. Is this a Multi-Synch function or something else?

Back