Virtual Santa..What Projector Are You Using?

Kev7274

Supporting Member
Going to do the virtual santa this year and was wondering what you guys are using. I don't want to break the bank since it will only be used for this purpose.
Suggestions on screen are also appreciated.

I was told to look at the amount of lums. I got a 3000 lums for $100 on Craig's list. Works great, we have a movie night a couple times a year and shine it on the side of the house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have an Optoma gt760. 3400 lumens and also a short throw. dont need as much distance between the screen and projector. Very brights and is I think 25000:1 ratio if I remember. I also use it for movies outside at our church and house, even camping sometimes.

I use an Epson that can hook up to a DVD player. I have found that from a distance with all the other blinky flashy going on HD is up to you. I made a wood frame to go around my window (on the inside) out of 1x2 pine and covered it with a opaque shower curtain from wall mart and some clear packing tape to hold it on. I use rear projection and it has been working great for 4 seasons.

I also use the short throw Optoma. Sitting here looking at one and don't see the model number.

For the money, they're great.

Looks like the Optoma GT760 is the best option. More than I wanted to pay,but I guess I can always use it for other things.

For virtual Santa you could go cheaper. I had a 50 dollar projector for Halloween.

I do too, but they are fairly expensive. I bought both of mine in here. How much room do you have between the window and the wall?

If I go in the Living Room,around 2-3 ft. If I go with the Bedroom,then I could go up to 6ft.
The living room is a full window,so nothing would be in the way. Bedroom window is split due to be able to raise the window up and down. Not sure if that's going to matter or not.

I do too, but they are fairly expensive. I bought both of mine in here. How much room do you have between the window and the wall?

2-3 ft you're going to need a short throw projector

depending on which virtual Santa you're doing, you don't need a whole lot of lumens, especially if the room is reasonably dark.

last year, my first year, I used a cheap ebay projector and a $2 white plastic tablecloth, projected onto the upstairs balcony glass doors. proved reasonably effective as it looked like Santa was wandering around in a semi-dark room, and it wasn't so obviously a projection like I've seen some videos of. but it depends what 'look' you are going for.

remember, whichever room you use you're going to need to either leave everything set up, or set it up every night. both options have their issues.

Back