XLights, F16V3, and LOR devices

Hey Everyone,

I’m hitting my head against a wall on this one, and I don?t know what I should do. Basically, I have a CTB16PCg3 LOR 16 port AC controller. I also have a Falcon F16v3 which I know is capable of communicating to the LOR controller. I set it up in Vixen a couple years ago, but I honestly don?t remember all what I had to do to make it work. This year, I am experimenting by trying xLights (nothing against Vixen, I just like trying different things) and want to know how to get this LOR controller working.

I know previously it was network switch->f16v3->port 2-4 of f16v3->LOR and then I had to precisely set up the universes. I would tell Vixen what universe on the falcon to broadcast from, and what exact channel I wanted selected, and it worked somehow.

Now in xLights, it seems that pretty much all the controller set up and stuff can be done automatically by the software (which is awesome), but I?m not sure how to tell xLights that I need to control a LOR controller over a certain port and I need certain channels for those items.

Does anyone have experience or insight as to how to communicate to this LOR device through the falcon from xLights? Thanks!

Last edited:
Gil Jones did a video a few years back on xLights and LOR. It should still be valid.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D2SwpHNjpHc

There are more recent videos and xLights has been upgraded multiple times to make configuration of various controllers easier.

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I don’t still have the USB to Ethernet box required to make that work. I know that the Falcon can output to the LOR stuff on its serial outputs, so was hoping there was some way to do that in xLights

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I don’t still have the USB to Ethernet box required to make that work. I know that the Falcon can output to the LOR stuff on its serial outputs, so was hoping there was some way to do that in xLights

I do not have it in front of my but I think there is a drop down on the controller type that would give you the option to add the the serial port to your xlights configuration then in the visualizer you can drop your LOR on that.

Close. What I have are two dropdowns for the controller: Vendor and Model. Xlights then knows what ports that hardware has, and so long as you stick with the Visualizer, the serial ports should stand out from the Pixel Ports. In the Layout, set the Protocol to LOR and let the Visualizer handle the channels vs. the LOR channels, and you should be good. If you're not good (but at least your Vendor and Model are right) and you set the ports wrong, the Visualizer should display all your serial ports in red and give you warnings about those being wrong. I've got a Layout that way that is presently wrong, and it is because I set the channels in Layout, and not in the Visualizer (and this was before I understood it).

Admittedly, my Vendor and model are KulpLights and K32A-B, but yours should work the same way.

Back