xlights Window not rendering one side

RonyRooman

I'm using xlights 2023.13 and a window model for my front door. I've used this setup for a few years without issue but this year when using the marquee effect, the right side of the model does not light up. I've attached a screenshot of how it looks in xlights. There's lights on the top and left but not the right. I'm using a simple marquee effect with nothing strange and a full buffer.

This windows model is configured with 27 lights on top, 26 lights left/right, and 0 lights bottom. I've attached another screenshot of that config.

Here's the strange thing. If I change the # of lights on top to 26 or 28, it works fine. But when set to 27, it doesn't work. Why would this happen?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 9.53.13 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 9.53.13 PM.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 9.55.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 9.55.56 PM.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 17
Is it a preview problem? If you change the size of the preview window, does it work better? How about if the change the size of the pixels? Does it show in the house outline correctly?

Tried your setup on 2023.13 here and it worked great with defaults and your 26/27/26.

Is it a preview problem? If you change the size of the preview window, does it work better? How about if the change the size of the pixels? Does it show in the house outline correctly?

Tried your setup on 2023.13 here and it worked great with defaults and your 26/27/26.

I appreciate the suggestions. I tried changing the size of the preview window and no luck. I'm doing this in a empty show directory for test purposes. I changed the pixel size and no luck. The house preview shows the same as the model preview.

Note that my setup is 46/27/46 which is different than what you have above. Also, I'm on a mac.

I've tried playing with the buffer. With a full buffer the right side is missing. When I move over the left side of the buffer the right suddenly appears but the left is missing. I'll attach screenshots of both. Not sure if it has much significance.

I tried 3D vs 2D mode and get the same thing.

I've tried a lot but just feels like a bug. As mentioned before, I change the top pixel to 28 and it works. But my prop is 27 :-(

Thank you again for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 9.34.39 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 9.34.39 PM.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 9.51.32 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 9.51.32 PM.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
As a work around you could model the prop as a single line and make submodels for the sides and tops.

At this point, the xLights zoom room is the right answer as someone can play with your models directly and investigate the various parameters. If you do that, come back with here with appears to be the answer. It does feel like a bug but I would bet there is just one or two things wrong. Someone playing with your model would go click, click and it would be fixed.

Also, my test was a brand new model. Initially I did set it to 46/27/46 but then I reread your post and changed it to be 26/27/26 to make sure it still worked at that setting as well. Have you tried creating a new model just using defaults? Maybe something whacked out upgrading the model from your prior setup.

At this point, the xLights zoom room is the right answer as someone can play with your models directly and investigate the various parameters. If you do that, come back with here with appears to be the answer. It does feel like a bug but I would bet there is just one or two things wrong. Someone playing with your model would go click, click and it would be fixed.

Also, my test was a brand new model. Initially I did set it to 46/27/46 but then I reread your post and changed it to be 26/27/26 to make sure it still worked at that setting as well. Have you tried creating a new model just using defaults? Maybe something whacked out upgrading the model from your prior setup.

Thank you for the idea. I joined the zoom meeting today and we tried a lot of things. It appears to be a mac only bug and something strange about that number of 27 pixels on top. I submitted a bug on it. They suggested using poly line as a work around for now. With this, I think I should be good. Thank you to everyone for the help!

Back