Custom Prop - Pixel vs. LED Count

MichiganLights

I'm making a custom prop that uses a cheap pixel strip. Each pixel consists of 3 RGB LEDs. In the prop editor I created every single LED (qty 48) then grouped each 3 as a Pixel group (qty 16). I included every LED for visual effect.

I now wonder if each LED will map verses each Pixel. I only want each pixel to map. Is it possible to have a single Pixel node with 3 LED just map the pixel? attached is what I have.

Attachments

• Prop Editor 01.jpg
    Prop Editor 01.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 16
First of all we need to know what type of strip you are using. Some strips are 3:1 strips that have three tri-color LEDs wired to a single pixel chip. In that case, the sequencer and show player only know about the PIXEL and have no idea that there are three Tri-color LEDs attached to it. No grouping needed. Any grouping you do will group PIXELs NOT the leds attached to the pixel chip. One WS2811 chip = One Pixel no matter how many tri-color LEDs are attached to it.

First of all we need to know what type of strip you are using. Some strips are 3:1 strips that have three tri-color LEDs wired to a single pixel chip.
That's it exactly (BTF Lighting Strip).
So in the pixel prop editor a single pixel can only be represented by a single dot/light graphic?

You can have 3 lights in the custom prop editor that are linked to one element and will work as you desire. Add the first light of the 3 and then keep the element selected in the tree and the add two more Then all three will be associated to the one element in the tree. The three will all light together when the one element is active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't seem to get the workflow right. I keep creating 48 patch-able channels as opposed to 16 channels (pixels) with 3 display widgets each.

Under Big C9 Bulb {1} I created empty groups Pixel 1-16. I selected each pixel group and added a widget for lack of a better word. Is the channel that gets patched always the lowest item in the tree, 48 total in my case?

When I setup a string light I can get 1 channel with 50 widget lights. Do I need to hold down a certain key creating the display widget?

Any help is appreciated. :(

Attachments

• Prop Editor 02.jpg
    Prop Editor 02.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 5
You are still ending up with each light being represented in the tree in the left instead of one element for each group of 3.

When you add the first light to the canvas on the right, it will add an element to the tree on the left. When it does that, you then need to select the element that it added in the tree. Your light on the right should then be pink. Then you can click in the canvas and add the other two lights that go to that. It should not add any new elements to the tree on the left. When you get those two added, you should see all three be pink to go with the single selected element in the tree. To move to the next set, click in the open in the tree on the left and ensure nothing is selected. All lights on the right would be white. Then start the next set of three. Add a light in the right, it will add a new element on the left. Again select the new element on the left and add the other two. Rinse and repeat. You should end up with you 16 elements on the left that will be your sequencing and patch lights. Whenever you select one of those 16 on the left, you should see the 3 corresponding lights on the right turn pink. That indicates you have 3 physical lights linked to the same element on the left in the tree.

You can watch the 2nd video on this page about analog strings. This is not specifically for what you are doing, but does demonstrate adding multiple lights that are tied to one element.

https://www.vixenlights.com/docs/usage/preview/custom-prop-editor/

Hope that helps.

That help a lot! Yes, the second video better explained what I was trying to do. Works like a charm now!

Attachments

• Prop Editor 03.jpg
    Prop Editor 03.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 4
Back