Pi Renard and xlights

toy keeper

Supporting Member
Trying to learn xlights to make a switch from Vixen to Xlights. Having trouble getting some controllers to Visualise under the controllers tab. what I'm running is Pi3s with FPP and a USB adapter tp a renard. they are currently working with my setup using vixen. I did set them up with the vender as FPP but there is nothing in models for a FPP remote. I tried FPP player only and get an error that it can not Visualise. This is happening with all the pi's set up this way. I also have 2 PB16s which seem to be working as far as the controller page is concerned. I have not tried to upload any yet as I have a working show and don't want to risk breaking it yet. Any suggestions or pointers would be great.

Trying to learn xlights to make a switch from Vixen to Xlights. Having trouble getting some controllers to Visualise under the controllers tab. what I'm running is Pi3s with FPP and a USB adapter tp a renard. they are currently working with my setup using vixen. I did set them up with the vender as FPP but there is nothing in models for a FPP remote. I tried FPP player only and get an error that it can not Visualise. This is happening with all the pi's set up this way. I also have 2 PB16s which seem to be working as far as the controller page is concerned. I have not tried to upload any yet as I have a working show and don't want to risk breaking it yet. Any suggestions or pointers would be great.

Why not just run the Renards off one of the PB16's?
If you do use xlights Zoom Room, come back and let us know what you found out, I'd like to know.

Why not just run the Renards off one of the PB16's?
If you do use xlights Zoom Room, come back and let us know what you found out, I'd like to know.

The Pi's with exception of my master are all remote on other houses 4 of which are across the street. My master is also running 2 renard outputs one for a few things at my place (mostly everything now RBG) and 124 channels out to the neighbors house. Across the street are (all the Pis) are 16 channels each. Its all working great, but I've been on Vixen for over 10 years, so I'm wanting to try out xlights now while I can.

I'm no expert in xlights by no means and I have played with it a little to see what might work.
Since Renard is a serial output on a USB port try adding a USB controller.
Then FPP as vendor
FPP as Model
Change protocol to Renard
This is me just Guessing.

Maybe what you described above, just without the Visualizer.

OP, can you explain or diagram your set up? You have Pi3s, Renard, and PB16s?
So, is it the Pi3s running FPP for the show to PB16s and the Renard?

Here is how I have my Renard SS24 and 2 Ren 24's, daisy chained from ss24, setup. I'm using a usb to serial dongle on the PI and here is the config in FPP: pi config for usb to serial.jpg Here is how I configured it in xlights xlights ss24.jpg and assigning models to channels xlights ss24 example model.PNG I'm sure there is a better way to do my arches, but it's what i figured out 6 years ago and I'm to lazy to update it. Also in xlights i show 200 channels on the serial and am actually only using 88 in FPP, I just did that for room for growth. I also run from vixen and xlights.

Back