Thread: GE Christmas Tree repairs

Post Thanks / Like

Default GE Christmas Tree repairs

So Here I am spending most of 6 months working on a DIY Christmas display and my son walks in the door and says, " Dad, look what I bought .... Can you help me fix it?"

Has anyone had any experience trouble shooting one of these GE pre-lit trees? It says you can burn out any bulb and the others stay lite. And they do but this tree has 2 or 3 branches completely out in the middle of the string. There are different strings of lights for each section. The section in question as a few branches that work fine just passed the male plug, then 2-3 branches are completely dead and then the remaining branches are lite to the end of the string.

I used my Light keeper Pro but nothing. I have spot tested a few bulbs.. all good. I am guessing some sort of open circuit.

I am hoping someone here knows how these strings are wired, so I can figure this out. (after all I am the light wizard in the family)

Any Help would be great!

Cburg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GE Christmas Tree repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Cburg View Post
    I used my Light keeper Pro but nothing. I have spot tested a few bulbs.. all good. I am guessing some sort of open circuit.
    Cburg
    If it is an open circuit, your light keeper pro has a sensor, (see the directions) that will allow you to press a button and if voltage is there you'll have an audible sound. If not, it'll beep once. using this you can find out where the voltage is vs not and trace the open out.

Leon

PS - Not familiar with these trees. Did it ever work? If so I would suspect a bad bulb or more likely a loose connection. Go through the bulbs that are out one at a time and manipulate the bulb and see if the bulbs that are out light or flash. If you have a loose connection, that'll find it. Some strings say that if a bulb goes out rest will stay lit. However, I seen more often that the entire string won't go out, just a part/section goes out.
    [url]http://www.vixenlights.com/download/vixen_2(2)/banners/vixensig256.gif[/url]
    [url=http://sawmillchristmas.com]sawmillchristmas.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

My wife bought a tree a couple years ago, it was a Martha S. tree, but it had the same problem. I found a lamp on each string on the tree which appears to be a fuse (for lack of a better term) had blown. It cannot be replaced, as the socket and bulb are one piece. I cut them all out and just tied the two wires together. Our tree had 12. I only did the couple that had blown the first year, but more lights went out as the season went on, and ended up searching them all down.

Hope this helps
    They are a pain to find.
    Good Luck

And Have a Safe and Happy Holiday!!:p

Post Thanks / Like

These trees are a pain. Usually no one notices the burned out bulbs until a whole section is out and it is too late then. I fixed my brother in law's tree. I started at one spot and checked each bulb by putting it in a working set. I changed out about 15 bulbs in each section that wasn't working. I have a light keeper pro, but it is hard to get it to work right with these light strings. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is, on the 'stay lit' strings each bulb has a conductor in it that will pass the voltage along in the case that the filament breaks. The bad thing about that is that the bulb is no longer using its voltage so every other bulb gets more voltage. If you don't keep up with the blown bulbs you will get more and more until the conductor can no longer take the increase and it finally gives up making the entire segment go dark. The lessen is, don't let the blown bulbs sit there, they are putting extra wear on the others.
    -Don
    2006 video - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k63Lq19r4uQ[/url]
    2008 Halloween Pictures - [url]http://picasaweb.google.com/Alwysrit2/SpaceOddity2008#[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these trees - and one string went out. It was blowing the fuses in the plug.

I called their phone number and they sent out replacement strings - no questions asked.

I will get the number and post when I get home from work.