1" pex arch base material

XmasinVancouver

Doing 1" pex arches with 60/m strips. I've seen a lot of people and videos over time that keep saying they use metal conduit for the base holding the arch tips. Admittedly, using a straight stick of 1" pex leads to a surprising amount of force pushing back trying to straighten back out. But is this really necessary? My arches will be mounted up against deck railing on the second floor, so no worries about weighing it down or tipping. But I wasn't sure if the material choice was mostly for the amount of force to ensure it holds together. The strips being delicate I can imagine a base snapping and the pipe whipping back to shape would have a fatal effect on the strip due to the velocity (ask my leg how it knows lol). I had made my own pixel mounting strips last season using grey plastic pipe hanger strap, and although I don't have a load tolerance number, they are basically designed to be able to handle pipe which can be quite heavy. I wondered about possibly using that instead of the conduit. The only downside being because it's light and flexible, with the pex pushing back, it currently rides up if just attached as is without some kind of actual clamp or something in place to prevent it from riding up

My base is 3/4" PVC. Have not had any issues with it. Some do sage a bit but they are designed to lay on the ground which limits the sag.

1"-to-3/4" PVC pipe coupler from lowes. A little manual adjustment and a bolt through the coupler/Pex to make sure it does not twist or pull out. Glue on the other parts.

1"-to-3/4" PVC pipe coupler from lowes. A little manual adjustment and a bolt through the coupler/Pex to make sure it does not twist or pull out. Glue on the other parts.

So you ran a bolt into the pex? I had been thinking of drilling a bolt or pin into or through the pex body, so that if it tried to slide, it would contact the bolt/pin/screw (whatever I ended up deciding). I held off for two reasons: 1) was concerned about adding a hole where the water could penetrate, 2) thought that maybe the strip would get damaged. Hell of a difference in sheer snapback between 1/2 pex and 1" pex I will say. I could hold the two ends of the 1/2" pex in one hand without any kind of challenge, but the 1"....let's just say if it gets loose while your in the bent shape, your going to end up with a hell of a bruise or welt with whatever gets hit lol

For my arches (using strips), the biggest goal is keeping them entire thing waterproof. So don’t drill holes.

I have a 1” plug at the end of each arch, that I’ve inserted a grommet to allow the wiring to pass through (maintaining waterproof).

For structure/support, I simply have a clamp that wraps around the end (of the arch), that connects to my cross-bar. The cross-bar holds the arch’s shape, and then keeps it upright.

No holes in the PEX. Strips don’t like any type of water intrusion.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-ACC-Steel-Conduit-and-Pipe-Hangers-5-Pack-26781/100161284

Last edited:

I like to take into account any type of condensation, humidity, etc. especially since the exposed LEDs can heat up (expand)—or even the sun exposure during the day, that could potentially draw in moisture.

I think it’s important to protect more than just from rain falling down.

Re: 1" pex arch base material

For my arches (using strips), the biggest goal is keeping them entire thing waterproof. So don’t drill holes.

I have a 1” plug at the end of each arch, that I’ve inserted a grommet to allow the wiring to pass through (maintaining waterproof).

For structure/support, I simply have a clamp that wraps around the end (of the arch), that connects to my cross-bar. The cross-bar holds the arch’s shape, and then keeps it upright.

No holes in the PEX. Strips don’t like any type of water intrusion.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-ACC-Steel-Conduit-and-Pipe-Hangers-5-Pack-26781/100161284

Amazing...I used the same clamps from HD. I have a piece of 1/2" metal conduit that is my "spreader". Drop a stake/spike in the other end of the clamp to hold in place while on the ground and no worries.

Re: 1" pex arch base material

My strips are Waterproof (Silicon sleeve) and I have never had a condensation issue.

I should mention that could be a real concern for me living in Vancouver lol. The months of November and December together average 13.78 INCHES of rain, and that's just an average. So safe to say lots of water in the air too, but I see your point

I use a PVC tee with two holes in the horizontals and landscape nails driven through the holes to secure it to the ground. To secure the pex to the tee, I drive two 1” drywall nails into the pex through the vertical part of the tee. If I had to waterproof, I’d probably just squirt a plug of silicone caulking into the pex above the screws. My strips are in sealed silicone sleeves and I’m in Arizona, so I don’t worry too much about any further waterproofing.

I am putting Pex Arches for the first time this year in between my candy canes along the side walk. For ease of set up, I have put 1-1/4" pvc pipe in the ground and screwed a piece of 1" pvc pipe on the candy canes. 1" pipe slides into the 1-1/4" nicely. So I have now attached a 1" Plus Fitting onto the candy cane with a piece of 1" pipe running vertical. On the Horizontal I have attached a 1" x 1/2" 90deg elbow. The 1" pex tubing fits over the 1/2" PVC Pipe with a small bolt through it to keep it from twisting. I drilled a hole through the bottom of the elbow to allow the connector for the lights to fit through. I figured the hole there will allow any water to drain that might get inside. Lights are water protected so not too worried there.

I'm going to update this thread as to my original query as part of the paying it forward philosophy. For my particular needs, my arches would be mounted against a railing, so I don't have to worry too much about keeping them upright or weighing them down, mostly just the two ends connected at the base to prevent them from snapping back to straight shape of the original pex. Last season, I was looking for an alternative to pixel mounting strips because of the cost of shipping, and came across a post recommending using this plastic pipe hanging strap you could buy from any hardware store. It was grey with 1" spaced small holes, and I simply used a forstner bit to drill the holes to the right size to mount pixels for my megatree. Even with 50 holes drilled into it (whose edges only left a very thin strip of material connected to the rest of the strip, not only did none of them break, but they withstood a pretty decent amount of tensioning in weather that spanned -20 Celcius to +15 Celcius over the span of 2.5 months, including rain, snow, you name it. And still this year, when I pulled them back out, they are just as strong, not brittle. I saw so many people talking about having to put a piece of emt as the base, and although it completely depends on your application and situation, using this dirt cheap strapping appears to be a good alternative I can report. I picked up some standard size adjustable pipe clamps for around $0.25 (and that's Canadian, Americans can probably get them for even cheaper). One on each side of the arch. Loosened it, slid the strap between the clamp and pex, tightened. I then proceeded to abuse the heck out of the connection to a scrap piece of the same pex and whipped it around like I was Indiana Jones lol. Doing everything I could to see if I could get the strap to break, the clamp to slip off the pex, or the strap to slip out of the clamp, including using it like a lasso and hitting the ground....Nadda. It's still holding firm. Connected it to the other side of the arch and it's rock solid thus far. So there you have it, a dirt cheap alternative that allows you to adjust the width of the base so you aren't stuck with whatever size your emt was cut at. But keep in mind, it all depends where you use it. Some places, that extra weight is needed

Here's the link to the product from the Canadian store I got it at, but just use that for reference. I've heard the exact same thing is available pretty much everywhere https://www.rona.ca/en/3-4-grey-polyethylene-suspension-strap-1120027

PS EDIT: If you ever here a Canadian referencing RONA.... Rona=Lowe's in the USA. I'm pretty sure they are the same company.

Last edited:
I’m now more confused. Are you using bullets or strips? Are the LEDs inside the PEX or outside?

Just having trouble understanding the need for the added straps...

I’m now more confused. Are you using bullets or strips? Are the LEDs inside the PEX or outside?

Just having trouble understanding the need for the added straps...

Sorry, I'll clarify. For my arches, 60LED/m pixel strips ws2811. Running inside the pex. Originally, I had been asking about material/types of setups for the brace at the bottom. This isn't "added straps". People often were talking about using emt conduit for the base of the arches, the section that holds both ends of the pex pipe into the arch shape. I was looking for an alternative to having to use the emt. The strapping was something I had left over from the previous year, and I thought, why not, nothing to lose by testing it. And I discovered it to be a light, strong and dirt cheap material that allowed for adjustments. Nothing more, nothing less. Just like you wouldn't want to use emt in every case, you wouldn't want to use the strap in every case. I was just letting people know my findings. And I literally was doing an indiana jones lol. Holding on to the strap with my hand attached to the pex and whipping it around in circles trying to see if it would snap or detach

Never claimed it was perfect material and picked for the purpose. Already had it and figured nothing to lose and so far, quite impressed

The question was out of curiosity as the link you provided lacked detail . I don't have arches , so am of no help in that regard .
Your photo answered my question . Thanks for posting it .

Back