16' Ferris Wheel

joeytx

I just got up the structure for my ferris wheel. It has a diameter of 16' and the center is 9' off the ground, total height is 17'. There will be 5 cars carrying homemade elves. I am using mini multicolor lights on the front spindles, and two 52' strands of LED C7 bulbs on the both outer rings. On every other spindle I am placing a 3 watt LED strobe at the end, and four strobes on the center hub. I am going to use red and green minis on the legs and base. This Year I am working out kinks so it will not turn, but next year I hope to be able to spin it.

The spindles are 1/2" metal EMT and the outer rings are 1/2" grey PVC. The 30" hubs are 5/8" plywood sandwiching the 1/2" EMT between each set. I used black wire ties to hold the spindles to the PVC temporarily, and I am going to use 1/2 PVC Tees cut in half to secure the spindles to the outer rings. The pipe through the center of the hubs is 1 1/2" rigid electrical . The plastic at the top of the 2 x 4s is 1" UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) drilled to accept the 1 1/2" rigid pipe. I used 2" PVC as spacers on the rigid pipe and 2" PVC caps on the ends. There is a 48" long 1/2" all thread running through the middle of the hub locking the PVC caps on. At the bottom of the UHMW, I used two 3/8" eye bolts to secure the plastic, this gave me a location to attach the 3/32" cable so as to anchor the whole unit to the ground in 4 places. Worked it all in my head, lets see if it works on the ground.

Fantastic!

And I imagine you'll be storing it in the living room? :lol:

What a terrific project, and one that looks very well engineered! Looking forward to seeing it in action!

This is such a blatant attempt at making the rest of us look bad! :wink2:

Looks great - wondering about storage myself...

That looks great Joey...I cant wait to see it in action either....still amazes me things you come up with sir.

Joeytx,

Watched the 2011 videos and saw the ferris wheel in action... way cool! Also, love your whole show. Great lighting effects.

Regards,
Lightman

Whoa!

*chants to self* I won't build a ferris wheel, I won't build a ferris wheel, I won't build a ferris wheel...

Some time ago I read an article with detailed photos and instructions on using a car altenator as slip rings to supply power to a Ferris wheel or merry go round or some type of prop . Now I can't find it, if someone knows where to find this information I would appreciate it. Thanks very much.

Back