2.5 Upcoming

KC

I'm caffeinated, so this is going to be unnecessarily long-winded...

There have been a few bug fixes lately, but most of my time has been spent on a new piece of functionality spurned into development by Lucas Boucher. Maybe you creative folks can come up with some amazing uses for it (like you usually do).

Lucas wanted to use his Wii guitar to record to a sequence and also live-update his hardware. Picture a group of guys sitting in driveway with their Rock Band equipment being backed up by 25,000 Christmas lights that are responding to their instruments. This is all that my meager imagination can come up with. Anyway, Lucas had the equipment and some code, he just needed the app to be able to handle it. So, as of 2.5, there will be a new plugin type, an "Input" plugin.

Unlike the Trigger plugin type that can trigger the execution of a sequence, an Input plugin will be used to create event data in real-time. The plugin will define an array of inputs it implements and then the user will dictate which channels each input goes to. In Lucas's case, he created a bunch of inputs representing the different controls on the Wii guitar. The user can also specify if the input data is to be written to the sequence, update the hardware, both, or neither. The input plugin starts up when the output plugins startup, so if the sequence is executing, the inputs will work.

An input doesn't have to be hardware. As long as there is a plugin providing inputs, the data can be anything -- hardware, audio, even time itself. So don't limit yourselves to just hardware.

So why tell you all of this? For one, so that the people who have had bug fixes go through know why they're not getting an update with them in it and, secondly, because 2.5 is enough of a change that it's not going to be a simple upgrade, hence "2.5" and not "2.2". When it is ready for use, it's going to have to be a separate installation and 2.1 will remain as-is. One of the changes going into it will allow it to play nicer with installation scripts as well, so Aurbo99's install will be better off.

Lucas has a video showing all of this working that he's going to post soon. If anyone else gets some use out of this functionality, he deserves the credit. Also, be on the lookout for the EFX-TEK EZ-8 which will also make use of this functionality. If you made it through this long-winded post, I apologize for its length and I thank you for your patience.

Thanks for all the hard work KC! I don't know Lucas but it sounds like he inspired you. :)

Thanks

Leon

K.C. In a word.....AWESOME... Looking forward to the new INPUT Plugin... Thanks for all your hardwork... Your the MAN.

pete

KC you are THE MAN OF THE SEASON... Nobody would have blinky flashy like today had it not been for all of your hard work and dedication!

Much thanks to KC for implimenting this functionality, this whole "Input Plugin" ability came together very quickly.

Meant to post this last night, but here is a video of it working for the first time with hardware
(Dimming with the whammy does work with vixen, my hardware doesn't support it yet.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNQqdcWesjE
(Don't mind the stupid grin.)

Once 2.5 is out i will gladly post the source for the WII Guitar Input Plugin.

And if you are interested here is the site i got the WII Mote DLL from.
(Worked really well.)
http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/arc...4/1879033.aspx

To get your own WII Guitar to work it is really easy, the only hardware you need is a WII Mote compatible bluetooth dongle.

Pretty cool!

Okay so now something like this in the future would be awesome too. Doable?

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 188
  • future2.jpg
    future2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 220
Great Job guys. I'm very interested in Using the IR Camera feature to direct the lights using two IR wands that I already have for my homemade multi-touch display.

OMZIG, I actually did put the IR emitters in a glove. So when I get mine working with Lucas plugin, what you want will be an easy transformation. I like the wands because it will be like the KIDS are directing the LIGHT Orchestra.

Oh yeah, you are lucky. My wife would not be saying "very cool". It would be more like "put down the guitar, you look like a dork"

Last edited:
Unlike the Trigger plugin type that can trigger the execution of a sequence, an Input plugin will be used to create event data in real-time. The plugin will define an array of inputs it implements and then the user will dictate which channels each input goes to. In Lucas's case, he created a bunch of inputs representing the different controls on the Wii guitar. The user can also specify if the input data is to be written to the sequence, update the hardware, both, or neither. The input plugin starts up when the output plugins startup, so if the sequence is executing, the inputs will work.

Time for a MIDI plug in too.
Tony M.

Years ago, I was part of the beta team for a DVD re-authoring program. We had a forum for feature requests and the programmer was really good at answering our requests and making things happen. Ask and you shall receive. It got to the point where we used to joke about the fact that eventually all we'll have to do is think about what we want to do, and the program will read our mind and act. That's when I made that image that I posted above as a joke for that project.

To make a long story short, this Wii guitar thing just reminded me of those days. Ask and you shall receive. You're awesome KC! Think about it everyone...with all of the different hardware and design philosophies that we discuss here...what does everything have in common?...Vixen...Where would we be without it?...We are all indebted to KC for writing such a great program and making it do the things that we want it to.

All I can say is WOW!! KC this is really amazing! I'm sure you realize all of the implecations here. The WII guitar is cool, I was already thinking of conductor wands as I was reading your post and hand contollers like in the Tom Cruise pic I'm sure will be a reality. And like you said the people on this forum are very inventive and I'm sure will come up with some really cool interfaces to program lights with. Thanks again!

Something i'm working on that i'm sure you'll be able to use with Vixen and this plug in, is some 'dance pads'.. What they are are round cirles of ply with a piezeo transducer screwed to the back.. When you jump on them they 'trigger'..

I'm hoping they will last the distance, and the kids will love em.

Wow and double wow, if this looks as good as I think I imagine, tedious sequencing has become a thingy of the past. Sorta of takes me back to the days of my first "light organ" except this is hyper space warpped beyond that!! May I be one of the first to say thanks for keeping us just one step behind you, or perhaps several steps behind your mind. What a hobby never ending, always a change. Now how about one of the first coops that interfaces my old panio, (a sensor on each of the 88 keys !!!) times to red , white and blue lights and the piano playing the star bangle banner!!
Wow and double wow!!!!
Rice 66

Are you refering to the music file being in a wave patter at the top of the window. If so Vixen has this all you need to do is turn on the Audio Visualizer.

I just did a fresh install of Windows with all microsoft updates on my lighting-PC, and cannot wait to start testing with the new 2.5 version on my Lynx DMX Dongle.

How is it going with the 2,5 version ?

Will 2.5 be labor intensive on Windows XP like 2.1 was? I remember trying the 2.1 release and boy did my XP PRO gag on it. I had to resort to beta 05. Is 2.5 setup for a 64bit system, because I think that XP pro was a 32bit? That might be the whole reason my OS needed it's inhaler. I guess I am going to have to breakdown and buy a little faster computer like a 3.0GHZ with at least 3G ram from Ebay for about $150 with Vista preloaded.

Has anyone else had problems trying to run 2.5 on XP Pro?

I have tried an early Beta 2.5 on Windows XP Pro 32 bit - works fine, Windows 7 64 bit - works fine.

So far I have not had time to seriously test it, but it will be installed on the test PC in the shed this week and give an absolute workout & KC will get some (valuable???) feedback :)

My PC's range from a 3.1GHz Q6600 screamer (Grin) down to a P4 laptop, and even 2 MSI Wind's. So far I have only tried 2.5 on the Dual core Lappy (Show PC with 4GB RAM & XP Pro) and the Win 7 PC (My main PC, Q6600, 8 GB ram etc etc), but I might throw it on the MSI to see if I can break Vixen

Okay...I got a new laptop that is 64-bit and I need Vixen on it. Where can I dl 2.5? I will work with the beta if that is all that is out?

Back